Rudolf Kingslakes's Books

paul_brenner1

Note:

This may be a duplicate post, but I didn't see it posted. (I may

not have clicked "confirm".)

I'm a medium and large format photographer with an interest in

classic lenses and lens theory. I have a pretty good assortment.

But I've never bought any of Rudolf Kingslake's books.

I've found three interesting ones, used, on the net:

1. "Lenses in Photography..."

2. "A History of the Photographic Lens"

3. "Lens Design Fundamentals"

I might well buy all three; but I'm curious if anyone thinks that

there is duplication between any two and/or any other reason I

should not necessarily buy all three.

Thanks very much,

Paul

<p>The books don't overlap that much. Two of them will be interesting to many photographers: <b>Lenses in Photography</b> is mostly about using lenses, with topics such as resolving power, depth of field, and perspective. There is only one section of specific lens designs. The book <b>A History of the Photographic Lens</b> is mostly about specific lens designs, discussed in a historical manner. There are a few other topics, such as optical glasses, and biographies of lens designers. Both of these books make light use of algebra (which could be skipped over)</p>

<p><b>Lens Design Fundamentals</b> will probably interest few photographers. It teaches the reader how to design lenses, which is a skill that very few photographers need. It makes heavy use of math. If you really want to understand how a tessar works, this is the book!</p>

One comment on the "History."

IIRC, it is very light on Kingslake's English contemporaries and juniors. Nothing, for example, on the legendary G. H. Cook. And like all of the books on lenses I've seen, including the VM, it is very light on French products. By all means get it, but don't treat it as the source of all knowledge. Source of some knowledge is more like it.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to dig up this aged post, cos I don't want to duplicate posting. I am looking for Kingslike books. Besides the "history" book, which is a must read, I found 2 books named "optics in photography" (1992) & "lenses in photography" (1951, republished 1962.)

I would like to know what's the major difference of "lenses" & "optics" books. Do they both cover 35mm RF to Large Format lenses? Which one would you recommend for a novice in lens design with just primary knowledge?

Thanks. Pan