Novice Lens questions...

steve_kraft

Hello,

I finally settled and after a lot of decision-making etc. got a D70.

I am very happy with it.

But, I got it without a lens, and have been using my father's old

pre-AI lenses (28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 135mm 3.5, 300mm 4.0).

Unfortunately, they don't meter, so I'm playing guess and check.

I have played around with a friend's 18-55, but have read many reviews

who boast the 18-70 is really the way to go. Is the 18-55 something

to rule out just yet?

I have seen some other lenses like the Sigma 18-50 3.5, which are

attractive (price) and have decent reviews.

What am I really getting (besides the 50-55 or 50-70mm) with the Nikon

lenses? Does silent-wave technology really help a lot? What is that

going to help me with? Is there any image stabilization etc?

-Steve

Nikon lenses give you durability and some (very minor) increase in image quality..I say that comparing apples to apples...meaning comparing Nikon to Sigma EX (pro)lenses. You really have to decide what your budget allows. You aren't going to be able to take many pictures without "any" lenses...so start out with some less expensive Sigma lenses...use them for a few years...hone your skills...and save your pennies for some nice Nikkor lenses down the road. Either way...the EX Sigmas will out shoot you...they just won't handle being knocked around like a photo journalist knocks equipment around.

By the way...I own both Nikkor and Sigma EX lenses...

Silent wave refers to Nikkors auto focus motors...and image stabilization does help...but then again...so does a good tripod.

Take care,

George Goodroe St. Peterbsurg, FL USA

Steve, I've been trudging through the same issues as you, starting when I bought a D50 back in November. I got the 18-55mm lens and was very disappointed with the quality, despite the fact it was a Nikon and had all the right markings, like ED.

I ended up buying a 18-35mm... a more substantial lens, and found the performance to be much better than the kit lens (18-55mm). There are a lot of ways to go, but I think you're on track with the 18-70mm. I've heard good things about it to.

I haven't owned a Sigma recently. They used to be very sharp lenses, but lacked color saturation. I've heard from a number of colleagues who think some of these third party lenses are possibly made by the same people that make Nikons, but I don't know for sure.

Silent wave is nice. It's sure a lot quieter than a non silent lens, but then the lenses I own that aren't silent wave probably focus faster.

Here's another thought. After owning the D50 - also a great camera, I also bought a D200 because it plays so beautifully with my old Nikkors as well. For the extra money, you may be able to better put to use those old lenses, and have a more complete system.

Well, I guess I'm just different. I wouldn't go for the D200 yet. It is too much money for too much camera. Anyway, you just bought a camera.

As for lenses: heaven's, the 50mm f/1.8 is a superb performer. It makes even pretty darn good lenses look bad, by comparison. Soooo clear, it is as though you are looking at the original scene with your own eyes once again. Get it. It will be a bit long on digital, but it is the benchmark for quality versus price. Also, you will learn what depth-of-field can do for your photos. A slow zoom at any price will not teach you that, or not so well at least.

If you want something more 'normally' wide for digital, try the 35 f/2. Something longer, the 85 f/1.8. All fast, economical for the quality, very very sharp. You will experience the real joy of photography with these lenses.

The 50 is about 100 dollars. The 35 is maybe $250-300, the 85 is $350 or so. You will never tire of their image quality. You can re-sell them later if you want to. Everyone knows their excellence.

John

One further note: if you MUST have a zoom, get the absolute best one you can afford. You can resell it later, too, if you want to. Fine equipment easily finds a buyer.

But, please remember: zooms are bigger, heavier, slower. I can't argue that the image quality is lower on the best Nikon zooms, but the size and weight issue kills me. No fun! And, if you have all your lens resources wrapped up in one, expensive zoom (and ALL the good ones are very expensive), what happens if it stops working/gets lost?

I'm just too poor to put all my eggs in one basket that way. Your mileage may vary. :-)

John

You're mounting pre-AI lenses on your D70? Are they AI'd? I wasn't aware pre-AI lenses would even mount on a D70. In any case, that's either very brave or very foolish.

Are you sure they're not AI or AIS -- I know those will mount, but not meter.

KL

Steve,

I started with the 18-70 but have since added the 17-55 and 70-200 VR and a D2X. There is no doubt that the latter two zooms are better lenses, but the 18-70 is still a terrific lens for the money, and if it weren't for the fact that I needed the fixed f2.8 of the 17-55 for weddings, I'd still be using it as my primary lens.

Paul

I have used the Sigma ASPII 28mm f1.8 which effectively becomes a short standard lens on the D70. Seems OK so far. The Sigma's softer edges at full aperture are not an issue on the D70. And it is not an expensive lens secondhand (70GBP) - it is a useful lens to have for 35mm format too, despite some edge issues at full aperture.

Otherwise the 18-70 Nikkor is just fine. Image stabilisation? Yup all my lenses have it. Called tripod/monopod/minipod.

There is no problem putting an older Nikkor on your D70, it won't meter but it won't harm

your camera at all. Those are fine lenses, you will not be able to get any better image

quality from any other lenses on your D70.

You might consider getting a hand light meter to help you getting the exposure right more

quickly than your present technique. They can be had inexpensively.

The zoom lenses you mentioned are fine lenses, I particularly think the Nikkor 18-70 is

good value for the money. But realize you are buying convenience, not better image

quality than what you already have. Autofocus, autoexposure, and a zoom range are very

nice to have to simplify the taking of the picture. However when you show a print to

friends though, they see only the quality of the image the lens makes and not the

equipment itself.

One small benefit not mentioned is that a zoom lens reduces the number of times you

swap lenses on the camera which in turn reduces the opportunity for dust to reach the

inside of your camera.

Silent wave is just the motor that focuses the lens, it is usually faster and quieter than the

technology that it replaces but it's nothing that helps a lot -- just a little. The VR

technology helps you acheive a good image when holding the camera by hand -- but a

tripod and cable release is even better.

Gerald

( http://www.suresoft.ca/homepage/gcarter.html )

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that Sigma does not pay to license Nikon's mount. They 'reverse engineer' it, and they make mistakes. As Nikon rolls out new cameras, Sigma lenses sometimes do not work with those new cameras (happened to me between the N90s and F100). I believe it is happening again with the new D200.

Because of that, I only look at Sigma lenses if they are *substantially* cheaper than the equivalent Nikon (like half the price) or if they are offering something that Nikon is not (like a fast 20mm, maybe). I would also be cautious about buying a used Sigma for the above reason; you may have to be pretty 'expert' in determining that the lens in question was not designed to an 'old' firmware version.

There is no problem putting an older Nikkor on your D70, it won't meter but it won't harm your camera at all. -- Gerald.

Yes and no. If by older you mean AI and AIS lenses, then yes, they will mount safely but not meter. Non-AI lenses may cause damage to the D70's meter coupling.

If you have non-AI lenses that you wish to use with your D70, your best bet is to have them AI'd for $25. Go to aiconversions.com.

It's your money.

KL

You don't have to take my word for it, but....

From B&H's website...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=nikonComu.jsp&A=getpage&Q=Product_Resources/nomenclature.jsp

From Nikonians...

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html

From Nikonlinks...

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm

The list goes on, including many posts here at pnet.

KL