Image stolen from photo.net; what can be done?

cocasana

Have you contacted the guy? Ask him nicely to remove it and he probably will.

<p>

If not, point out that you will contact blogspot.com about the copyright violation. It may also help to address him by his actual name and address, which took me about 10 seconds to find. Or give him a call.

<p>

<a href="http://phone.people.yahoo.com/py/psPhoneSearch.py?srch=bas&D=1&FirstName=brian&LastName=denker&City=jackson&State=TN&Phone=&Search=Phone+and+Address+Search">Brian Denker, Jackson TN</a>

This is a good example of why photos need to be be marked with authors name and copyright. This won't protect the photo but it eliminates ignorance as a defense. It is also a good idea to register images with the copyright office. This can be done in batches or collections.

The blogger in question would probably claim non-commercial editorial fair use. His page did not have any revenue generating advertising.

Blogspot is owned by Google who has recently been the subject of numerous "fair use" complaints. You could sue them but you would be at the end of a long line of publishers and university libraries.

In this case I would not do anything. As already pointed out he's promoting you in some small way. He's not making money off your image. He's crediting you.

I did have some teenager steal one of my pics and use it as a background on her web page. She was linking to my image on my server, stealing my bandwidth and not giving any credit. I asked her to stop using it and she refused. I replaced the file she was linking to with something else that got her attention and she soon removed the image.

The guy is promoting your image, your name and with that all your other creations. The only very minor thing is that he didnt ask you permission, but... who cares aside you...? Two notes on this: first, for every image that acknowledge you as the author, there maybe 10 other of your images that might be in used right now and in a much more unfairly way (not giving you the credits, using them for commercial use, etc.); second, these kind of things are the risk of posting on the web, if you're not ready to accept it, then don't upload anything else... and loose the inmense audience that you could reach if you'd keep posting!