Better replacement for BP511?

j_robinson2

Am going to be buying a few more batteries and the camera takes the

BP511.

In looking I see a lot of replacements with claims of more power &

more life. Are any of these replacement batteries worth getting?

I could use more life from them in the field and if they perform

longer or better in cold weather (to 30 below zero farenheit) I am

interested. Don't want to lose any performance or harm the camera

but am looking for more & better if possible.

I submitted this with more than one question mark on a sentence and

this asinine program wouldn't accept it, saying "one is enough". One

is NOT enough you damnable computer censoring BS machine!

Canon specify that their DSLRs operate down to 32F, although in practice so long as you don't try using the same battery for more than a few minutes at a time and keep your spares warm you can get away with somewhat colder temperatures. At -30F perhaps you should be considering a camera that doesn't depend on batteries at all.

I use BP-511A batteries in my 20D in temps down to -25C (-13F) with no problems. I've never used more than two sets of two batteries in a day, even when I've got AF servo cranked up with the EF 300/4 L IS (I run out of body heat before I run out of battery power). I have three Canon BP-511A batteries and three generic (2 Merkury and one unbranded). I haven't noticed any difference between them as far as charging time, fit and power. The unbranded one was an experiment to see if the really cheap generic batteries on eBay work OK. It cost me $13 CA including shipping to Canada. I've used it (and the other 5) since late August with no apparent difference.

I have use the BG-ED3 with my 10D in REALLY cold weather (far below zero fahrenheit)

and two batteries in the grip. The two batteries together gave me enough power to shoot

for about 4 hours.

I actually get a full day's shooting if I just have one battery in my camera and one in my

inside pocket in my coat. Then, when the battery in the camera starts getting too cold, I

switch 'em. I can shoot all day like this.

In cold weather, the AF and the aperture motors all work fine in the lenses I have. I am not

a heavy user of AF at all except when shooting moving subjects, and I use CF4-1, so

YMMV.

If you read the fine print with your Canon, your warranty is void if you use anything other

than the Canon BP-511. Go figure. Although, I don't know how they could ever prove that

you used something other than their product.

At B+H, they list an alternative but the price difference isn't enough to make me jump to

it.

I have a number of batteries from SterlingTek: http://www.sterlingtek.com

They are very cheap (only $12 vs. $50 for an original BP-511A) and have more power (1800 mAh vs. 1350 mAh). Never had any problems with those batteries.

I don't know if they do better in cold weather. I don't think any company makes batteries especially for cold weather. If you go outside in cold weather, just make sure you keep a spare battery in your pocket (so that it stays warm).

And yes, I hate the stupid forum software here too.

I had a problem to find a BP-511 of any brand here in Belgium in October 2004. The Canon one listed at 89 euros (another forum software glitch that won't allow the use of any currency symbol other than the dollar)and none of the major camera shops in Brussels had anything in stock. I finally found a no-brand version in Wavre, close to where I live, for 59 euros. They are less than 10 euros on ebay but I didn't have time to wait for it to arrive from Germany. Anyway, the 89 euro list price for that official Canon battery is rather MORE that what I would pay for a battery for my car! Why do European consumers always get ripped off? Anyway, I've had it for over a year with no problems. Saying that an off-brand battery will void the warranty is just Canon's way of making you pay their silly price during the first year of ownershiip.

Don't know if this is of any help but I get replacement BP-511's from my local camera store, these are third party batteries rated at 1700mah and I've been using these for a while. No problems. Cost me $18 each. If you have a decent camera store around your place, check them out.

I don't have the Canon warantee if front of me, but if I recall correctly, what they DO say is that if you suffer camera damage due to a failed non-Canon accessory, they will not repair it for free under the warantee.

That is really quite a bit different than saying, "if you use non-Canon accessories, you void the warantee", the difference being in the determination of what caused the damage.

In other words, if you use a 3rd party battery, and the shutter jams because some guy at the factory left their bubblegum in there, I'd be pretty surprised if Canon would accuse you of ruining the camera with a bad battery.

On the other hand, if your 3rd party battery leaks and ruins the battery compartment contacts, or even worse, has a "thermal event" and melts your camera, Canon would be well in their rights to refuse to repair your camera under warantee.

So, it all comes down to your comfort level. If, after you paid $1000 or more for a camera body, how LITTLE are you willing to spend on batteries?

I find my 'cheap' limit is about $25 or so. Any cheaper than that, and I get uncomfortable with the quality (and safety) of the batteries.

the capacity is more important here than the price. The main thing is to get one that has an over-charge and over-discharge protection circuit. I'd be suspicious of $10 LiIon batteries, but probably not $25. If you discharge the battery to where the camera shuts off - check the battery terminals with a voltmeter. If it reads 0 volts or open circuit, that's the discharge circuit doing its job. If it reads very low voltage all the way down to 0, not good.

for those who would claim that OEM batteries are much less likely to leak and or explode and ruin your camera, I would point you towards Nikon's recent recall of OEM batteries.... because they may leak or explode and ruin your camera. (Not a N vs C issue, there are only a few factories that make LiIon batteries and I would be surprised if the same one doesn't make the batteries for both makes.)

I hope I didn't leave the impression that OEM batteries were somehow immune from problems.

What I DID mean to point out, though, is that if an OEM battery melts down in your camera, at least Canon will most likely repair it for you (I won't deal in absolutes, here -- there are always exceptions that folks will be more than willing to point out).

On the other hand, if a non-OEM battery melts in your camera, you are on your own.

Decide accordingly. It's still a matter of how much risk ($$$) you are willing to take on yourself, if you gamble, and lose.

• 2 years later...
I am not sure if anyone has any useful info for me - but I was reading about these problems with aftermarket batteries,and here's what happened to me. I bought a new Canon XTI maybe 6 months ago. Loved it - no problems. Went away for Christmas, forgot original battery, stopped at drug store and found aftermarket one I thought might work. Put it in, no power. Took it out immediately, and it was very HOT. After returning home, put original back in and it's totally dead! Tried everything, and nothing. I called Canon, tried a few things they advised and still no luck. In their owner's manual they clearly state any problem from NON-CANON parts will NOT be covered. I have to send this back - and I have a feeling they will somehow be able to tell exactly what happened, and I'll get stuck with a huge bill. IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME, please let me know. I wasn't being cheap - it was the only place open and I had one day to take pix of 2 newborn nephews I won't see again for years - and now I'm screwed.