I'm Considering selling my 17/85 and replace it with an L lens I'm

looking at 24/70 or 16/35 currently have the 20D and 50 1.4 and 580

flash the new lens will be my main lens will be using it taking

family picture 70% indoor 30% out door in the future I will also be

purchasing the 70/200 2.8 IS. I have read some posted notes stating

the ultra wide lens is not a good idea with a camera with on 1.6

Factor I don?t understand? Can any one explain it? Sorry I reposted

it with the right lens

John, IMHO either of your choices would be fine, depending on whether you wanted the wider angle of the 16-35 or the more "normal" FL of the 24-70. I own the 24-70 and the 70-200, if you went with that, you would have several options at the wide end. The 16-35 you mentioned, the Canon 17-40, one of the wide primes, the 10-20 EF-S or a third party lens like the Tokina 12-24 which is supposed to be pretty good from what I've read. I don't know where you read that an ultra wide on a 1.6 cropped sensor camera is a problem. They may cause some vignetting on a full frame sensor but should be less of a problem on the 20D. Good Luck.

john, it all depends how wide an angle you want. because of the 1.6 factor, images from wide angle lenses are more cramped than on film. a 16mm lens gives a field of view moreakin to 25mm.

i've got a 24/2.8 canon prime, a 20-40 tamron, a 28-75 tamron. from my point of view, the 28-75 is not quite enough for group shots indoors. the 24 is acceptable for 95% of what I do, and does not have as much distortion from wide angle as the 20, which IS better for field of view.

so what do you do? well, you could consider is a third-arty lens, the sigma 18-50/2.8, good things are said about it, and it gives you the most options on a zoom that includes a serious wide angle.

people swear by the canon 17-40 btw, but its fastest aperture is f.4, which limits you somewhat indoors without a flash.

you can also go third party, pick up a sigma 24-70 macro (people have said stellar things about it), and then a wide angle prime, like the tokina 17/3.5, which gets decent reviews, and still have money left over from what you would have spent on your canon zooms if my math is correct.

John, first ask yourself why you want to change: What is it about the 17-85 that doesn't meet your needs? If you find yourself often wanting to shoot at a wider aperture and therefore need f2.8 or you want higher image quality then either of the lenses 16-35 or 24-70 will help. Then ask yourself when you are using your 17-85 where do you use it most - at 17, at 35/40, at 50/60 or at 85? - that will tell you whether the 16-35 or 24-70 will more closely match your shooting needs.

I have the 24-70 and the 16-35 and I have great results with both of them. I also owned the 17-40 and I found it to be soft and the focus always searching with slowed me down. For what is best for you on lenses do you need wide angle or more of a telephoto. I would think the 16-35 and included with your 50mm and then adding the 70-200 sounds like a pretty good combination.

I don't know who told you the nonsense about ultrawides not being good with small sensors. Actually, they're essential. With the 24-70 you will have no real wide angle capability at all.

For general shooting on a 1.6 sensor camera, a 16-35 and 70-200 would be an ideal setup. A 24-70 and 70-200 would be a very limited one. It's not even a contest.

I have a 20d and just bought the 24-70l, i find it great, i am now hoping to buy the 70-200 2.8l and i hope that is great too.

I listened to all these argument about being able to buy several lens's for the same money as these supreme expensive zooms etc etc. And you know what--you will end up lugging loads of kit around--having to change len's in the middle of no where just for one shot--having dust and all crap getting into your camera everytime you change.

It's obvious that these 2 len's are the bee's knees and will cover 99% of all situations. they may cost a lot but you wont be continually cleaning your sensor or spending hours doctoring your pics cause of lens dust---just stick to the two and be happy