Welcome to the NEW Photo.net! ×

Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 or Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8

ramon_v__california_

finally got my nikon 17-55mm f2.8. a little heavy but i'm happy.

thanks to all those who convinced me.

i have a friend who shoots with the kit lens on his D70. with a

limited budget we are thinking of the two lenses mentioned for his

f2.8 needs. should he just stick with his D70 kit lens?

there are good reviews of the 17-35mm. haven't gotten to read (good

or bad) reviews of the 20-40mm. but he's leaning on the 17-35mm.

thanks.

I don't know how good the kit lens is at the wide end, wide open, but it's less than a full stop smaller than f/2.8, is it really worth the upgrade? If yes, I'd seriously consider the AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8, because you'll get the same speed but quality will be much better. A prime on itself can be quite limiting sometimes, but if you have the kitlens to complement it, I would not doubt [that is, if he really needs another lens].

I don't see any significant advatange that either lens would have over the kit lens; it's not like we're talking about an upgrade, such as if he decides to spring for the 17-55mm.

If he wants something for low light, get a sub-f2.0 prime lens, such as a 50/1.8.

<i>

KL IX Prolific Poster, jan 06, 2006; 03:01 p.m.

I don't see any significant advatange that either lens would have over the kit lens; it's not like we're talking about an upgrade, such as if he decides to spring for the 17-55mm.

If he wants something for low light, get a sub-f2.0 prime lens, such as a 50/1.8.</i><P>

It is important to remember that when shooting in low light, a wide lens can be handheld at a slower shutter speed than a normal or telephoto. Therefore I wouldn't recommend a 50mm 1.8 for low light photography, rather a 35mm 2.0 would be more likely a good canidate. <P>

The Sigma 20mm 1.8 is also a good lens for low light photography. It is not as sharp in the corners as the Nikon 20mm 2.8 might be, but it is a full stop brighter.<P>

Dave