A worthy subsitute? help me please...

Hello, I have an M6ttl (.58) and a 50 cron (4th gen). I've had both for about a month. I love

the combo. I love the feel of the camera and the way it functions. However, there is a

distinct possibility that I overspent what i can actually afford. I am considering switching

bodies to a voightlander for the time being until I am able to really afford the body that I

have. Part of me is thinking that I should just deal with it and hold onto the camera and

the other part of me says get rid of it for now and pocket the 800 difference between the

M6ttl and a voightlander. BTW I should probably add that I am a college art student. I

bought the Leica gear with my own money, I am only now starting to feel the effects of

how much I actually spent now that I am financially planning for my spring semester. The

argument inside my head is that if I sell the M6 and have the extra cash, I will probably

spend it on frivolous things (college student do that?? no way haha).

Also, which Voightlander model should I look into to as a match for my 50 cron?

Right now I'm just considering my options. I am leaning more towards keeping the M6 but

I'd love to hear any input or advice from the rest of you. With the cost of Leica gear I know

for a fact I'm not the only person who has been conflicted by the "money Vs. sweet

camera" situation. Thanks! -Evan

Well, you already own it, so IMHO you should just keep it and use it for the years to come. It really wouldn't take that much of a part time job to make up the difference in cost, its not really that much in beer and pizza money either. Keep it and enjoy.

If you can, keep it. You are a student so poverty should come easily at this phase of your life. But if you must sell the M6, do it now. As soon as the digital M arrives the used Leica market will be glutted with M6s and prices will decline.

If you can find a way to afford it, I'd keep the Leica. It is a finely made, professional piece of precision equipment. If you take good care of it and have it cleaned, lubricated and adjusted periodically, it should give you good service and last for many years. It should also hold its value fairly well over time. The Voightlander is a good camera, and there is nothing wrong with it, but it is in a somewhat different class of equipment. Basically, it is a consumer item designed to be sold at an affordable price, rather than a professional item built for durability. It may wear out after several years of steady use, and will probably not hold its value as well. If financial considerations force you to sell the M6, you might want to consider buying a used M2 body rather than a Voightlander. Years ago, one of my teachers gave me a simple piece of advice about such things: "If you buy good, you buy once." What I understood him to mean was that I would be better off saving up to buy something of high quality that would last me for a long time, rather than buying something more affordable but of lower quality that I would not be satisfied with, and would want to replace after a while but would not be able to sell for anything close to its original cost. In the years since, I have had various occasions to reflect on the wisdom of that comment. It was good advice when he gave it to me, and I pass it on in the hope that it will prove to be good advice for you too. If this eventually turns out to be the case, don't thank me -- find someone else to pass it on to in your turn. Good luck with your choice, with your photography, and with your education.

If the difference was thousands of dollars, it might make sense to sell the M6. Since the

difference is hundreds of dollars, and you're clearly confident (heck, you just bought an

expensive camera!), why not try to earn back some of the difference--using the Leica.

For example, if you're on a college campus, why not offer $25 portraits (okay, a 50mm is

not a perfect portrait lens, unless you're shooting portraits in environments)? Send a great

picture home to the parents--what a nice mother's day or father's day present from a

student. Or, offer to assist at a local wedding, shooting hand-held informal shots in B/W.

If you earn at least some of the money back, you'll feel great about the accomplishment

and you'll easily justify the purchase.

(Sorry if my ideas for making money are so-so; I'm sure you can come up with better ones

that suit your own style.)

Hey Thanks everyone, I think this is the vote of confidence that I needed.

Also, this is my only photo.net user name and the reason I ask "what would you do?"

questions on the forum is because I almost always get good, well thought out responses

from people with more experience than I. Anyway, I think keeping the M6 is the right move to

make... -Evan

Evan, I'd recommend that you spend a few extra bucks each year and make sure that expensive camera of yours is properly insured against robbery/theft. It would be aweful if a person in your straightened circumstances were to end up without either the camera OR the bucks spent to purchase it. Renter's insurance usually covers robbery/theft of personal property, but may require a rider specifically listing expensive items such as your M6 & lens. I remember that casual theft was a rather frequent occurence at my schools, and adequate insurance will help you sleep at night.