Can CS2 read D200 RAW images?

todd1664878707

I called Adobe and they said it would be while (meaning a few months at least). I open in Nikon View. It is very very slow, and the adjustments are for wb and ev only, but I've been very pleased how great the photos come out...I haven't had to make any adjustments at all. I'm going to stick with Nikon View...as I think the colors are better with Nikon software. I never would have thought that as I was a Cs2 user....so...I'll trade slow for quality. Nikon View is free btw at the Nikon website.<div>00EidS-27274484.jpg.05c2ab32aff00cbcef931a8689f25308.jpg</div>

Melanie,

You mentioned that you believe the colors from the Nikon software are better than the ones achieved by Adobe. Isn't it a big coincidence that the better colors appeared as soon as you started using the D200? Could it be that the D200 produces better (more accurate) colors than the previous DSLR you were using and it's not actually the post processing software?

You have a good point Todd....it could be the camera and not the processer. I guess I can take a D70 shot and process it in View to compare. It always seemed my CS2 raw files looked either too saturated or had a greenish tint once the got into ACR...but they didn't look that way in the jpgs (I shoot raw + jpg)...so I assumed it was CS2.

Peter...help me understand then. Why would smeone use a 500.00 program like Capture One vs something like Breezebrowser? Are you saying Breezebrowser makes more discisions of what to do with the file than Capture One? How would you rate CS2 as compared to other programs...your own personal opinion? I opened the file in Nikon View..not capture. If it did make decisions it made the right ones as this is the first time I've opened raw files with color not being an issue...that is...getting different color from what truely was. Do you think it is the camera...or the software?

Phil Askey has a very handy RAW converter comparison page as part of his D2X review, showing Nikon PictureProject 1.1 v. Nikon Capture 4.2.1 v. Adobe Camera RAW 3.1 (Photoshop CS2) v. Bibble Pro 4.2.6. As you can see, particluarly in the images of the watch face, these RAW converters produce very similar results:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2x/page20.asp

As a practical matter, for images from my D100, I use ACR, as I could not see any real difference between ACR and Nikon View. From a work flow standpoint, its much easier to use ACR, and I'm sure Adobe will post a D200-compatible beta version of ACR soon. Until then, as succested above, use Nikon's RAW converter, save the image as a TIFF and import it into PSCS2 for further processing.

• 2 weeks later...