flange to sensor that any lens shorter than 45mm might have to be of a

retrofocus design to clear the mirror movement and that might make

them just too bulky.

With all the noise about noise at higher ISO's an extra stop or so

could be real welcome. Oh, wouldn't it be nifty to have a slightly

wide, 20mm f 1.4 to slip on an E body and go looking for those dimly

lit, available light shots.

Midwinter musings, regards, John R.

Don't know about others, but plenty of E-System user been asking this same question over and over again without any real answer forthcoming. And the last communique I have with Olympus Japan, all their customer service would say is that yet they are undecided on how to go about this matter ( what a way to answer a prospective buyer )

In any case, All those 2.0 and 2.8 zoom is way too expensive and overkill for my need, and certainly way oversized, over-weighted and simply too bulky. Those mid range zoom is OK priced but equally over-sized for its purpose. We need some for real fix focals.

A good question John.

The entire 4/3 system was first designed with the vision of using smaller faster lenses (which is true in telephoto range for E-Zuiko) but the wide to normal focal lengths seem to be just out of Olympus' interest...

I think the best way to obtain a fast wideangle is to use Zuikos like 21/2 24/2 or 28/2 with Canon EOS body (either APS-C or FullFrame) until Olympus will be selling something of comparable speed and angle of view :)

As much as everyone cries for fast primes, the fact of the matter is, it's zooms that will be mass sellers. When I sold my Canon outfit I gave up a 100-400 f4.5-5.6 for an Olympus 50-200 f2.8-3.5 and a Canon 17-40 f4 for an Olympus 14-54 f2.8-3.5, so from what I see, I gave up two good, but not perfectly mated, slower zooms for two faster lenses with a better set of complementing focal lengths.

Yes Greg, I realise that the development moneys are being spent on zooms, actually, for the past few years it does seem as if zooms are all the optical folks are interested in designing and pros and hobby photographers alike prefer zooms, but a modern multicoated compact fast prime I think would be an eyeopener to many folks who have been introduced to SLR photography only by means of a slow consumer grade zoom. Wow, the view is really bright I've heard people say as I let them look through my OM-1 with just the 50 f1.8. I don't think we're asking for a "Mars Mission" here, just a couple of lenses, one standard and one slightly wide, both at least f2 or even better 1.4, but of course I won't hold my breath.

Regards, John R.

I suspect that, as others have alluded to, it's a marketing/acceptance issue. Just consider that most of the people now buying digital cameras (P&S) have never seen a prime lens, and certainly have no idea what the term means. A small portion of these will graduate to SLRs, but still expect that versatility.

When you are planning several years out, on a very tight, competitive budget, who's going to be left to appreciate, much less spend the added dollars to buy them?

Cheers,

Ray Hull

• 3 weeks later...

A system DSLR/SLR is about expandibility and ability to field the most appropiate accessories /lens / body combination. While Zoom are versatile. They do not solve evrything ( well unless OLY can come up with 1.4 fixed aperture zoom that we can actually handheld ).

I think the best example had been set by Pentax. Just look at the DS being tauted the digital equivalent of the K-1000 and its size coupled with the like of an FA-Limited 43 or the DA40

Now that Oly had pretty much zooms of all kind fulfilling almost evry price bracket. Isn;t it time they get serious with actually making a SYSTEM , and not a setup. Nikon and Canon do not success by just being big. OM success in the 80's is based on a system approach. I suppose Oly do know about that after all.

• 1 year later...