Digital back for SL66 ???

tom_boronowski

I bet it wouldn't be impossible to make a custom version of the Imacon i-adapter for the SL66. I also expect that both Rollei and Imacon would be helpful in providing you the necessary information to get the sensor to be the correct distance from the lens. It could be that making a custom adapter for a Jenoptik back would be equally feasable. Both of these companies make backs that are designed to use adapter plates to fit them to several different cameras. So long as the camera has a removable back, making a plate should be possible.

I've been thinking about an adapter solution myself, but since I'm not really familiar with the dimensions etc of the backs, and since as far as I know usually MF systems don't have a part of the body that protrudes alongside the magazine (due to the focusing rack), that might cause problems with some solutions. However, making something workable probably isn't impossible, if not easy either. Like I've said before, there's hoping there'll be something more easily available in the future :)

Thanks all for Your help!

Hi Bengt: I totally agree with you peace, prosperty for everyone and the nature?s preservation are more important than a digital back for the sl 66.

Hi John:"unfortunately" Hasselblad has bought Imacon and the old battle between Victor Hasselblad and Prochnow is still going on - Rollei has promised in the 50thies not to expand in the MF-SLR-market, Hasselblad not in the MF-TLR-market but 10 yrs later the sl 66 was born! So I think there is a little chance only to get infos or more from Imacon Copenhagen or Gothenburg. But I?ll try it.

Hi Danny: It seems to be easier to get infos from Rollei but most of the sl 66-crew is yet retired or fired.

Hi Teppo: Yes, I have a dream! I see similar technical problems in the project"digitalback sl 66" as you and I guess that an order for 20 digitalbacks is more welcome than an order for two an one.

Lets first collect infos, i?ll inform everyone here about the results!

Best wishes

Tom Boronowski

Berlin/Ulv�

Hi Tom,

Interestinly enough, I read somewhere that the guy in charge of the merged companies came from the Imacon side.

I don't think you really need to tell them that you're making an adapter for Rollei, just that you're making an adapter and want to know the hole spacing for the four screws and how far the film plane is back from the surface on the adapter to which the back mates.

Incidentally, the Imacon digital backs for Rollei integrate with the 6000 series cameras better than do the Phase One backs that Rollei bought and modified.

In that sentence, when I said "them" I meant Imacon, although your words might apply equally well to Imacon's reading habits. I didn't consider that Rollei would be reluctant to provide information. Every time I've wanted to make something custom for Rollei gear, they've quite helpfully provided generous amounts of data. I expect they'd do so for other people as well. Imacon has been equally helpful in the past, although I haven't had the occasion to need any special help since the merger.

Kodak lists the pixel sizes for their sensors as being in the 5.4 ?m to 24 ?m range. What's the possible resolution for an image transmitted by one of those panels? Personally, I think that while it might be workable to hook up a pair of panels that way, it'd be hard to compete with an appropriately shaped piece of aluminum with a hole in it for cost.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom:

If you gather any information about creating a digital back, please let me know

(HMDelman@yahoo.com).

I think Kodak made a Digital Back (DCS Pro) that fit onto Hasselblad cameras and had a

special cable release to trigger the digital back and the shutter of the camera simultaneously.

They did not manufacture the back to fit onto a SL66; it might be possible to modify this

back, but I'm not technically skillful enough to know if or how it could be done.

• 2 years later...

Very interested in any progress on a Digital back or adaptor for my SL66SE kit. I tried to

adapt a BigShot 4000 color back, but it was a hell back to get to do anything, and is totally

for sale, a great book case item or paper weight, no doubt. But in truth if some one has a

contact as Rollei and they need some names down, I'm very interested.

Cheers Raoul