Help in Canon ef 28-80mm f/2.8-4 L USM

alam eldin

No spare parts are available from Canon anymore, so it probably can't be repaired if something breaks. So I'd avoid it, there are other options available that are as good and similarly-priced. An exception might be if someone is "giving the lens away" for $100 or something.

I haven't used the lens, but it does get reasonably good reports--If I already owned one I'd certainly continue to use it. But I wouldn't put money into one now.

Similar to the 28-80/2.8L, except with more distortion, flare, and vignetting. Sharp, but not much better than the Tamron 28-75/2.8. USM isn't as quick as more recent models.

A well-conditioned model recent went for $550 on Ebay. Compared with $900 for the 28-70/2.8, and $1300 for a new 24-70/2.8, that isn't bad.. but in light of the variable aperture, lack of warranty, and third party options in the same range, $550 is overpriced to these eyes.

If you can find one for $400, it's worth a look.

DI

David, I agree with you but what to do if you whant tamron but you dont have it in your contry so I have to import it and then the luck will play with me as a lot of complain about soft in the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and you should try yourself more than one copy.

So what you shoud do to have a good alternative for 24-70 f/2.8 which I have but I find it heavy to cary with me everyday.

I hope Tamron will take care with the control quality as this should increase its sales more and more.

So this is why I went for Canon as an alternative.

I''m still need your advise.

I have had one (bought at ebay for 450 EUR two years ago)and was disappointed because it wasn't that sharp and very bulky (as 24-70L) for it's performance, so I sold it for a 24-85 USM.

This isn't as sharp as Your 24-70 L, too, but it's okay given it's light weight an it's extended zoom range (and price). Maybe You should consider this little contrasty lens.