elaine marie

Hi, I just read the post on the fastest B&W conversion in PS .I only

have photoshop elements and I just do the desaturation amd than

adjust with levels and contrast. Is there a better way that I should

be doing this. Here's a picture done with that method

Thank you

Elaine Marie<div>00EmtC-27401984.jpg.1c21e9a4933097b4b385c817b5e8e05a.jpg</div>

hi Elaine,

I have Photoshop CS2 so I can't help with elements. But I like the way this particular picture looks - I think the b/w effect is quite nice! The only thing for me, is that the grass in the upper right is just a tiny bit distracting (maybe too sharp? Too much of it?) If that could be softened, it might help keep attention on the faces. But I really like the luminous look you achieved.

Jennifer

Elaine,

This method will work in PS Elements, it's in a slightly different place but it's essentially the same......First, go to your Standard Edit window.

Now with you image open click Filter> Adjustments> Gradient Map....

Make sure your default Gradient Map scheme is loaded.... if not then click on the little arrow and choose default. The default gradients will load and then choose the Black/White one.....

Hope that helps!

Desaturation is not the best method to use by any means. The problem is that it does not produce a B&W image that reflects how the eye/mind assigns brightness values to colors--it reflects a computer's purely mathmatical assignation of brightness levels.

For instance, let's say you have adjacent blue, red, and green tones that each read 127 with the color dropper. The desaturation control will reduce each to the same shade of gray--no distinction. But in fact, the eye/mind sees the green as significantly brighter than the blue, with the red in between. A better black and white image will interpret the colors the say way the eye/mind does.

This can be done manually in Photoshop using the Channels control, and there are a number of plug-ins that do it more or less automatically. One FREE plug in that works very well is "Virtual Photographer" by Verve Optics: http://www.optikvervelabs.com This installs on Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro...I don't know about Elements. One nice thing about Virtual Photographer is that they provide you with typical "film" controls--film speed (to control grain) and filter settings. Also, they give you a lot of pre-sets that you can modify and save. Finally, it's free.

I use Elements 2.0 with a $39.00 plug in - Photokit Sharpener. It makes converting to B&W simple, fun and fast. You can duplicate sepia, selenium, platinum, or combos there of. It also does sharpening and a ton of other things.

• 2 weeks later...