Getting Started in earning money from Photography?

fistral

Hi, I`m sure I`m not alone in wanting to earn a living from my

photography? I was wondering if anyone had some simple advice in

getting started, as in what to shoot? What sells quickly? and where

do I sell?

I`m sure it`s been asked before but as I`m new here I`d appreciate

some advice...Thank - you in advance. Bill

No, there is no simple advice. It's not easy nor does it pay what you might think. This HAS been asked and answered multiple times here. Use Search here and some due diligence to look at what has been said before (like read the last 2-3 years worth of posts). Hell, use Google and search the rest of the 'net. If you can't be bothered to look that up on your own, doubtful you have the drive needed to be a business man first and a hooter second. Best plan, IF you're good enough, will be to ID the area you want to specialize in and then ease into the field slowly. Get the latest Photographer's market book and read that as a start.

There are two basic ways to make money in photography: 1) Go out and shoot interesting images and try to sell them as "artistic" or "creative" photos in galleries, art fairs, craft fairs, to stock houses, in coffeehouses, or somewhere on the net, etc. This way is slow death, but you'll learn a lot. 2) Shoot paid gigs for clients, that is, shoot professionally. The immediate cash here will be things like weddings and other social events, portraits, children, pets,sports, products, etc. Implicit in all this is the fact that you are, at least, a competent photographer, a born self-promoting hustler, a natural problem solver, and possess a good business head. If you haven't these qualities, get a job at WalMart.

William-- The fact that there are multiple threads on this subject in the forum archives and it doesn't look like you took the time to reasearch any of them speaks volumes about the effort you are willing to put into the enterprise.

Judging by the work ethic you've demonstrated so far, and the drive you've exhibited for finding things out for yourself, your best bet for making fast money in photography might be to catch a Supreme Court nominee in a compromising position with a rap music perpetrator.

Best of luck. -BC-