20d airport screening

jordan_prussky

Don't keep CF cards in your pants pockets. If the metal detector wand comes in direct

contact it may corrupt the data. Also, sometimes they pour out travel flasks if they think

you have booze in it. I was told flammable liquids aren't allowed onboard. Go figure...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Just don't let the TSA, Secret Service, FBI or US Marshals try and take the lens off like they did to a photog at the Super Bowl last year...they broke the lens AND camera! And last I knew STILL hadn't replaced the destroyed gear. How hard is it to get a lens off a 1D MKII ? Apparently pretty tough when you have no clue what your doing.

I always ask for a hand inspection.

And I never let them send my laptop or camera through the scanner before I am at the other end waiting for it.

Really, I can't see that working at most places - certainly not places like LA and LHR. I have even been asked to power up laptops and take off shoes just before I get on the aircraft.

I've put 20D's thru as check luggage and as carry-on. No problems either end. I usually have

the 24 f1.4 & 85mm f1.2 with me and those get comments because of the 'density' of the

glass. Last 12 months or so the Leica M6 gets the most attention due to its density. Even

laying in an open tray going thru the machine it gets looked at. I am always polite, smiling

and cooperative. Rarely a problem. This is all USA domestic, fyi. I never ask for hand

inspections. Even with 40 rolls of film in my carry-on. Just put it thru the machine. Never a

problem. (Yes, that includes TMAX 3200).

<p>I would never check my camera equipment. Checked baggage is not necessarily treated with a great deal of care, and it's also not that uncommon for bags to go missing or have contents stolen during the many hours the bags are out of your control.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom/PressReleases/PressRelease.aspx?ID=1059">Tests show that X-ray machines (both for carry-on and checked baggage) do not harm flash cards</a>. The TSA says they don't harm digital cameras, either, and AFAIK the digital camera manufacturers agree. I've only flown twice since getting my 20D, and it didn't seem to suffer from being X-rayed. Neither did my flash cards. Yes, do keep an eye on it to make sure someone doesn't try to snatch it as it comes out the other side of the X-ray machine.</p>

<p>In the U.S., you supposedly have the right to have your photographic equipment inspected by hand (though the folks manning the security screening stations apparently don't all believe this). There may be other countries with similar rights; there are certainly countries where no such right exists. So depending on where you're travelling, you may have no choice but to have your gear X-rayed.</p>