"Canon Inc will spend about 14 bln yen to construct a camera lens

plant at a digital camera production subsidiary in Oita Prefecture in

a bid to integrate production of both cameras and lenses in a single

location."<p>" It will have a workforce of about 600 and will have the

capacity to produce hundreds of thousands of lenses for digital

single-lens reflex or SLR cameras and other products annually."<p>

Read the article here:<br>

<a

href="http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/afx/2006/01/05/afx2431586.html">http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/afx/2006/01/05/afx2431586.html</a><p>--

Interesting choice of words: <i>"will have the capacity to produce hundreds of thousands of lenses for digital single-lens reflex or SLR cameras"</i>.<p>

Given that the statement will probably have gone through both a marketing department and Japanese-English translation, I might be reading too much into it, but I read it as an EF-S lens plant?<p>

APS-sized sensor cameras here for a long time yet?<p> Ian reading <i>far</i> too much into a press release?<p>

Ian<p>

(Still waiting for Canon to produce a decent wide-wide angle for his 10D before he gives up and buys a Sigma/Tamron/Tokina equivalent.)

Stop waiting. It won't happen. If the 14/2.8 isn't wide enough, good enough or cheap enough for you, you're out of luck with a 10D.

And yes, you are reading FAR to much into it. It's just another plant making bodies and lenses, most of which will be part of digital systems. I very much doubt they need any more capacity to make film bodies these days....

Canon are moving towards full frame eventually for most of the EOS digital line (at least that's the plan at the moment). I doubt they'll need a huge expension in EF-S lens production. The Digital Rebel line will stay as EF-S, but I really don't see many new EF-S lenses being developed. The 10-22 is very, very good and takes care of the wide stuff and the 17-85 is an ideal lens for those who just want a general purpose "carry around" lens. If their market is mainly Digital Rebel owners, I can't see them coming out with wideangle primes or fisheye lenses.

I'm sure the reason they need to increase capacity is to serve all those Nikon owners who finally see the light and jump ship :-)

No R&D Reduction; I have to agree. Probably the last thing Canon is thinking about doing is reducing R&D given the current market conditions in cameras, optics and related technologies. The new and related markets Canon technologies are being used in is also nothing short of stunning. I think they have a good thing and will stick with it for quite some time yet. With economic conditions rapidly improving on their home turf as well, they must be one large group of happy campers.

<p>Don't forget that's in yen, and a yen is worth less than a U.S. penny. 14 billion yen sounds like a lot because of the word "billion" but at current exchange rates that's only about USD120 million. A lot of money to you or me, but I'm sure Canon can afford it.</p>

If you nose around the investor relations part of Canon Inc.'s site you will see that the Oita plant has been foreshadowed for some time. You will also see comments that suggest it will concentrate on higher end items - so L lenses and top of range DSLRs are likely to be made here. You will also see that Canon are pursuing a "no prototype" design and production route, so we can probably expect more gremlins in new products.