D2H for IR photography: experiences anyone?

csuzor

I wish to shoot some IR images, for artistic purposes, with my D2H

and minimal investment. I have read Bjorn's excellent article, he

says d2h does give good results, and hopefully others here can share

their experiences.

Should I start with a 89B, 87, 87C or other filter? I have the 12-

24/4, new 50/1.8D, 70-210/4-5.6, tokina 28-80/2.8, and expect to get

the 30/2 and 17-55/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 later. Which may be most

appropriate for IR work? Should I get a 77mm filter to use on the 12-

24 and 28-80 (quite expensive), or start with a cheaper filter for

the 50/1.8?

I understand AF is useless with these filters, and that a non-srew-in

filter may be more practical...

Advice appreciated. Christophe.

Completely different imaging sensors, but FWIW I've had great results using the Hoya R72 filter with my D1x and Canon G5. As I recall, the R72 is a little more affordable and was a good choice for me to experiment with. You are correct...no AF, but my D1X does meter perfectly with the filter installed. I've not minded using threaded filters except that occasionally I bump the focusing ring while installing it. You have a bright cache of lenses...they should all work fine. There's a big jump in price to 77mm IR filters, really its up to how seriously you want to pursue IR. Good luck!

Check here...<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_IR_rev00.html#top_page"

target="_new"><u>http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_IR_rev00.html#top_page</u></a>

<br>

<br>

Here is Bjorns start page...<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com" target="_new"><u>http://www.naturfotograf.com</u></a>

<br>

<br>

Ive got an #87 or #87c filter but cant find it so Ive

never tried. I need to get off my duff and buy a new one. <br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

Hi, Christophe,

I have experimented some IR as well as UV with my D2H. Here is an example of landscape in IR. I used Nikkor UD 20mm f3.5 with Cokin Z007 (Wratten 89B equivalent) and Lee standard filter holder. Exposure time was 0.77 sec at f11 and ISO 200.<div>00EP5h-26815584.jpg.b05bb8e3b90b2456cfb26d6e6bdb48d6.jpg</div>

Some addtitional info:

The cheapest way to experiment is, at least here in Japan, to use Fuji tri acetyl cellulose filter SC 72 (similar to Wratten 89B), IR 78 (rated as Wratten 87 equivalent by Fuji) and IR 84 (similar to 87C). Each costs about $10 each as opposed to equivalent Kodak Wratten gel filters (about $70 each here!). They are all in 3 inch square size and can be attached to your lens up to 72mm filter size with an appropreate Cokin adapter ring and a couple of alligator clips or clothesins.

Some lenses may cause "hot spot" but with a digital camera you can just try and see for free.

Hope this helps,

Akira

Hi Chris.

I found the D2h to do a nice job with IR. I us a B&W 89 B.A very dark red filter. The exposure times are a little long and you have to remember that IR focuses to a different point then white light.

The one odd thing I have found is that my D100 does nice IR and it will even auto focus with the filter in place.

I tend to convert my images to B&W because I do not like the false color IR. But that�s just me

I use a 24 2.8 or a 35 1.4 I have tried most of my 50�s but they all seam to have a hot spot in the center when I shoot IR. For the B&W conversions its not very noticeable but for the false color it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Check out Bjorn site he has some great information.

Go out and try it.

Michael<div>00EPC9-26817884.jpg.311059ed3456a73c6397d88dda11ea8a.jpg</div>

I have a D70 and an R72 filter. I would never have dreamt that IR photos were possible on DSLRs without major surgery to remove internal filters etc.....

http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/d70/ircut.htm

What metering mode works through an R72 filter?

(I used to use the R72 filter with SFX-200 film and got nice results but gave up on IR when I got the D70.)

Is this only possible with a D2H rather than my D70?

Thanks for the posts guys.

I've decided to get a R72 (or 89B) at 77mm, that will cover both 12-24 and 28-80... now I have to find one that is reasonably priced, delivered to my door in France! btw, does the histogram on the d2h accurately represent the exposure with the 89B filter? or is it just the green channel on this histogram, and therefore useless?

The idea of removing the IR filter is nice, that could give a 2nd life to the d2h when I have a better toy, but until then I'll play it simple.

Trevor, the bottom of this thread has D70 + R72 pictures, stunning!

http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Photonumerique/Photo-infrarouge-sujet-5311-1.htm

David, it was Bjorn's site that got me started on this idea.

Sakamoto-san, thanks... looks like a familiar japanese urban scene, I lived there 10 years ago and that is what I saw from my window, close to shinjuku (tokyo). Yoroshiku!

Michael, nice shot. I am concerned about the hot-spot as mentioned, so I won't try the 50/1.8.

Suzor-san,

Thanks for your kind comment. I hope you have good memories about Japan:-)

As for the IR (Wratten 89B type) filter, I would recommend a Cokin Z007 especially if you live in France because, as you may know, Cokin is a French manufacturer:-) The Z007 is a 100x100mm plastic filter and shoud be chaper than a 77mm 89B glass filter.

The exposure meter of D2H works just fine in matrix mode and you can basically let the camera decide the exposure value, but I've got the best results when I set the camera to "underexpose" by one stop. As mentioned in Bjorn's website, the red channel is the most sensitive to IR rays through any of the 89B, 87 or 87C filter and the red channnel is surely overexposed when the histogram tells you that the exposure is right because histograms is mostly true to the green channel which is much less sensitive to IR.

Trever, I think you can trust the matrix meter mode of your D70, too so long as you use AF-Nikkor lenses with chips. You should also set the camera so that it underexposes by one stop or so because the behavior of the image sensor of D70 seems to be similar to that of D2H, according to Bjorn's report.

If you don't mind using a tripod, you won't need to modify your D70 when you shoot in IR.

Hope you all enjoy the world in invisible light.

Regards,

Akira