Tamron 28-105 f2,8

Coho

David, I shot several events with this lens on 35mm cameras. Then, I bought the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 AFS lens.

Even for $600 after rebate, the Tamron 28-105mm is not a lens I'd buy. I found the lens shot really flat. Besdies the low contrast the lens was not as sharp as the 28-70mm f/2.8 AFS lens.

The 28-105mm f/2.8 is awfully big. Also, in a Nikon mount, it lacks a focusing motor and it takes 82mm filters (I draw the line at 77mm filters).

If you don't absolutely need to hit 105mm on the long end and are on a budget, look at Tamton's 28-75mm f/2.8 lens for $360 after rebate:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=284402&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

P.net's own Bob Atkins has well-written review of the lens:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_28_75.html

Mine has plenty of contrast and is very sharp, but the bokeh at wide apertures is ... well... ugly. For some this doesn't matter.

I also find that the lens is awfully large and this makes me use it less than I thought I would.

Otherwise it's very good.

Don't get the 28-105. It was a great idea but very poorly executed. It's slow as can be, heavy and made of cheap, telescoping plastic. I bought one on ebay along with an F5. The seller sent the camera poorly packed with the lens mounted. The package arrived with the lens snapped in half and plastic all over the place. (yes, I got my money back)

A year earlier, I briefly owned the Tamaron 28-75 f/2.8. That was an excellent lens and a terrific value. Yes, it was a lot of plastic, but the lens was so small and light, that it did not require the robust build quality that the 28-105 needs and lacks. Also, the 28-75 focuses much faster than the 28-105. Pictures were great.

I owned a 28-105 and had nothing but bad things to say. I was very disappointed in this lens. The focus was slow, the images were very soft, and that 82mm filter thread was brutal.

I will just say that it did not work for me, I sold it and have not looked back.