Cleaning Ground Glass/ Fresnel lens

steve_lebel

I'm new to the 4x5 format. I just purchased a Graflex Pacemaker

Crown which was in very nice condition. I wanted to go over it and

be confident before using it in the field.

I was wondering if the ground glass or fresnel lens can be cleaned

and if so, what you would recommend for a cleaner and technique?

Thanks for your help here. Steve

They can both be cleaned with standard materials. Just use common sense and don't rub anything hard enough to scratch it. If it's really gunked up I would remove the glass from the frame and wash it in warm soapy water. Use a soft, lintless cloth.

BTW, I've been using a product called Invisible Glass. Someone recommended it a while back and it's really good stuff. It doesn't leave streaks, and you've never seen your glass so clean. You can get it in auto parts stores.

Steve,

In addition to what Kevin has suggested... you should also make sure NOT to lose any of

the shims the camera might have when you remove the ground glass/fresnel screens.

Once the glass/screen is cleaned, make sure you replace those shims otherwise you could

have problems with focusing.

Lastly, if you're ever in need of a new ground glass... try one of those acid etched versions

available from Dagor77 (on ebay) or the SatinSnow versions from Dave. It's always good to

have a spare one on hand anyway. :)

Cheers

Steve,<P>Have you chcecked out <a href=http://www.graflex.org/>Graflex.org</a>? Go to <a href=http://www.southbristolviews.com/>www.southbristolviews.com</a> and click on Graflex manuals in the left palne. You will find a user manual and Top RF Service manual in pdf format and downloadable. The Top is the same as the Side RF Pacemaker except for manifacture of and placement of the RF.<P>The previous post got you to the right direction. Remove the focus hood,spring clip on each side to release, carefully remove the retainer clip screws and the retainers, pay close attention to orientation of gg/ekatlite screen and any shims, wash in warm water with Dawn or simular dish soap, rince and use photo flo in final rince and allow to drip/air dry, on fresnel/ektalite screen use fingers only to rub gently with and follow the groves on that side, handle by edges only after washing and before rincing.<p>Assemble with ektalite screen flat side toward lens/ridge side toward ground glass frosted/etched side then install the retainers.<br>Charles

One type of glass you shouldn't wash is the Deardorff gridded type, the grid isn't a resist

applied to the glass its varnish applied after grinding/etching so when you pop it in the

soapy water all the grid wears off...take it from someone who knows firsthand!!

I have cleaned plenty of other types with no problem, In addition letting the glass air dry

leaves fewer marks, drying with a paper towel can leave wee bits that get stuck to the

frosted side, if the last rinse is in hot water it speeds up the drying, to get fancy pop a few

drops of photoflo in the water so you don't get streaks/drops. Hope that helps!

CP Goerz.