FTbN in the C-O-L-D!

grain

Hello again,

I've been using my FTbN a lot of late, and it's below 32f most days now in N.E. U.S.

I have seen some sticking evidence of the second curtain, frames cut like when flash synch is off.

Could this be just bad lubricant? Fixable? Suggestions (other than scrapping it) welcome.

It's otherwise cherry and would hate to give it up.

Regards, Alexander.

To me, it sounds like you hit the nail on the head! My Pentax spotmatic, which has the same type of shutter curtain was doing this for a while until I had it overhauled. Once I got it back, it stopped 'dragging' the shutter in cold weather. If it has not had a CLA (clean, lubricate, adjust) in over 20 years, I'd take it in to a camera repair place and get an estimate.

alexander, i too live in the northeast us, and had a similar problem with a F-1N. when it got cold, the mirror would start to stick. when it got even colder, the shutter would stick. i just took it in to get CLA'ed, and last weekend when i went out in the cold it worked like a charm - mirror and shutter both snappy and stick-free. it was also very nice to get my camera back all nice and clean, and to have the film advance moving much more smoothly. i'd definately recommend a CLA, rather than ditching it.

My twin Ftb's operate well when "cold soaked" around 0 degrees F. Problem is touching metal with bare skin or breathing near the viewfinder. Do all operations/adjustments on the camera slowly and carefully.

A problem with keeping the camera under your jacket is moisture collection when snow blows and sticks on the warm camera and melts.

Regards.