Hawaii Photo Locations

ken_c1

I have been to the Big Island several times, and have seen birds everywhere I looked. On the lanai in the morning you just need to sit for a few minutes and will be treated to an orchestra of birds. My parents say that Kauai is even more so. Having not looked for birds specifically I cannot advise you on specific locations, but you will not have to look hard.<br>

For general tour guide advice I would highly recommend two books:<br>

<a href="http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigisland.html">Hawaii The Big Island Revealed</a><br>

<a href="http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html">The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook</a>

Ken,

There is also another thing to consider; are you out to photograph Native birds or are introduced ones ok? I have been on most of the other main islands (not the big island) and generally concentrate my photograpghy on native birds (seabirds, creapers like the I'iwi, native fowl like Nene, etc). There will be lots of non-native birds at lower elevations, some of them very lovely and abundant, but it all depends on your interests. Generally for the Honeycreepers you need to get to higher elevations above the point where mosquitos are able to deliver avian malaria. Its another one of the unfortunate stories of human habitation that Hawaii has lost most of its native birds at lower elevations.

You might want to try The Birdwatcher's Guide to Hawai'i as a good reference to check out.

I recommend The Ultimate Guide to Kauai (I think, same as what Randal said). There are several Hawaiian photographers on P-net.

In 2004 when we visited, the National Tropical Botanical Garden was spectacular. They're online, and you may want to contact them in advance for bird locations. National Audobon Society has lots of info (e.g., Audobon Center at Waimea on Oahu was wonderful). Have a great trip and please post some photos when you're back!

Sorry I forgot to note that you would be in Kauai. Absolutely do not miss Koke'e State Park, and bring raingear. For native species it was one of the best places we visited. The hikes are magnificant and the drive up past the canyon is something to long remember. Trying to recall without my list in front of me we saw aua'u 'Elepaio, Kaua'i 'Amakihi, 'Anianiau, 'Akeke'e, I'iwi, Apapane, Nene, Pueo (Short-eared Owls), and several introduced species as well.

As to bird photography I didn't do so well there. The 'Elepaio can be so curious that you might be able to get away with a 100mm macro, and the Nene and Owls were fairly easy to photograph, but the Honeycreepers were just too small and too fast for me to photograph well.

Check out the following web page: http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/XAlakaiSwampArticle2.htm