Imporoving portrait skills

marcsaint

I want to improve my portrait photography skills -- specifically in

the context of my wedding photography. I'm pretty sure my candid work

is good, but I really feel my portraits are not up to the level I want

them to be. I'm pretty much self-taught but I need to get up to speed

quickly (i.e. before next May). I am well-versed technically but

lighting and posing are mysteries to me.

I think I would like to take a course or seminar with someone but I

don't know who -- does anyone have any recommendations? I work out of

the Western Massachusetts area but am willing to travel. Also, if you

have a better idea on how to do this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Marc St.Onge

www.saintongephoto.com

If you're serious on this subject, contact this person ... irakly@shanidze.com

Irakly Shanidze is a great teacher and a gifted portrait artist. He is currently in Russia at the

request of Moscow University teaching a special photography class, but will be back in the US

on Dec. 10th I think. He also teaches on line as well as traveling around the country giving

3-5 day seminars.. often heavily attended by working pros.

the best thing anyone can do to help their portrait photography is to take a drawing class or two. regardless of drawing ability, and if your self esteem is high enough to handle being bad at it amongst a classroom of great sketchers, then do it. you may dread going to the local highschool twice a week for six weeks of night classes, but your photography will benifit forever.

this will help your photoshop touch up skills too.

the next thing, that i have students do, is rip apart fashion mags. good ones, like W or any European Elle or Vogue. the best resource for budding photogrpahers is laying around in every waiting room of doc's and dentists. practice poses with friends. the hardest thing after getting a few poses down pat is getting the direction part, your comminication, with your subjects. often of which are strangers. it can be uncomfortable for some. it all gets easier with time.

Mary, if you're reading along, could you bust up Irakly's email addy above for him? The spam bot's will love it.

You may want to think about attending the Santa Fe Workshops for one of their week long classes. They have something for every level of photographic skill and have some of the best photographers in the world doing the instructing. I am going to try and get to one this Winter or Spring to jack up my learning curve in a few areas. http://www.sfworkshop.com/

What about asking another wedding pro whose work in formal portraits is excellent if you

can work with him or assist him or her at several weddings to see how they pose and light

their subjects. I have done this to improve in areas that I lacked expertise in and learned a

great deal from a fellow photographer

Jim Olson

I am well-versed technically but lighting and posing are mysteries to me........

Actually, it pretty much just is lighting and posing..........

Get to Ebay, buy the VHS tapes on posing the bride by Monte Zucker and Charles Lewis for starters.........then take a look at David Ziser and Doug Gordon and you should have a pretty good start. I don't know about being ready by May, lighting & posing can take years to master.

DEFINITELY CONTACT PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS OF AMERICA.

In January, there is a large expo in New Orleans called Imaging USA that is associated with PPA.

Professional Photographers of America has a local chapter in just about every county of every state, and mine here in the San Francisco Bay area is amazing. It's the only one I've attended, though, and I'm sure there are many great chapters.

They also publish a magazine called PPA Mag

I think you can go to PPAMAG.com or something. There is also a group called WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International).

Check out Yervant.com and Cantrell Portrait Design online.

Through PPA and NCPP (Northern California Professional Photographers) I have come into contact with Joe Buissink, Bambi Cantrell, Mike Colon, and many other well-known photographers that charge $10,000-$50,000 per wedding.

Google PPA and you're sure to find a local chapter. This is the absolute best resource I can think of.