Zeiss Nikon mount lens announcement

marbing

As Zeiss says...It is no Contax. I think that we would find it a step down in build quality from the Cosina or Bessa. Basically, it is a Yashica mount camera...which just happens to mount Zeiss Contax SLR lenses. I wonder how much more affordable it would be compared to a used Yashica or Contax?

I have not seen anything yet to convince me against getting a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM for my D70 (or my D200 later in the year).

The reports of distortion and vignetting in the Zeiss Ikon Planar 50mm f/2 M mount is not encouraging news either. The one lens ANY company should get right is the 50mm especially Zeiss whose Contax 50mm f/1.4 was a benchmark.

Nikon's own 28mm f/2.8 AI-s is going to take a LOT of beating even for Zeiss. Plenty of those around still.

Now if they were making AF Zeiss DX lens for Nikon DSLRs I would take notice. Perhaps they should have gone into partnership with Sigma rather than Cosina. A Sigma/Zeiss 30mm f/1.4 AF Planar with HSM and T* coated Zeiss glass. Yum.

The 85/1.4 does not make any sense at all. 50/1.4 ZF is going to be better than any of the 50mm Nikon lenses. Other focal lengths would make sense more than these.

A 60mm f/1.2, a 20mm f/2 and the like. Zeiss can learn a few things from Cosina about what sort of focal lengths to bring out (12mm and 15mm CV lenses, for example).

A Distagon is interesting. It appears (the above photo with focal lengths are false speculations) that there is a 28/2 Distagon and 60/2.8 Makro-Planar. There are far too many macro lenses in this focal length region and almost all are good.

That's a Makro-Planar. I don't think any 30mm Double-Gauss formulation can clear the mirror of a 135-format SLR.

>The reports of distortion and vignetting in the Zeiss Ikon Planar 50mm f/2 M mount is not encouraging news either.

FWIW, the ZM 50 has exactly the same amount of distortion and light fall-off as the G 45, and their MTF graphs are practically the same. Funny how people don't seem to complain about the G lens.

Am I suddenly living in a parallel universe?

Cameras that don't use film are selling better than cameras that do. Most cameras for which film is no longer available are worth more than cameras for which film is available.

Many photographic shops do not sell film; some do not sell cameras. You can buy a camera from a telephone shop and vice versa.

Film companies are seeing falling film sales, but photographic paper companies are selling more paper. You don't need photographic paper to print a photograph on.

Agfa has gone bust, but Ilford is still around. Kodak has discontinued Kodachrome II.

Voigtlander lenses are not made by Voigtlander, Zeiss lenses are not made by Zeiss. Rangefinder cameras are popular again, but one model does not accept film.

Many cameras that do not use film are designed around the modern and innovative APS film size. APS film is obsolescent.

Zeiss lenses are to be made for cameras that were obsolete in the 1970s.

Film is available for these obsolescent cameras but batteries arenメt.

Anybody can take photographs with a telephone that they carry around in their pockets.

Nikon have recently made a copy of a rangefinder camera that was obsolescent in the 1960s. Nikon have also introduced a technically advanced camera that uses film, but which very few people can afford or need. This camera cannot be used to make telephone calls.

Nikon are stopping making film cameras. Zeiss are to start making lenses for cameras that Nikon no longer make. Zeiss make lenses to fit Leica cameras. Leica lenses are fitted to cameras that don't use film and which are manufactured by a Japanese electronics firm in Siam.

I give in! I guess the next thing is for Leica to start making non-rangefinder cameras that donメt use film, but which have an inbuilt cordless telephone.

モBeam me up, Scottieヤ