Nikkor 50mm F1.2 on D2x/F3HP

guts80

I'm currently in the market for a FAST prime such as the 50/F1.2

From Bjorn's site I see he rated it as a 4.5/5 for use on the D2x

(which the lens will spend the majority of the time mounted onto).

This seems like a promising review for a lense I can get at a very

good price.

However what are the user reports with this lens on film? Although I

don't shoot much film these days, it's nice to load up some Tmax and

go light with the F3HP only.

Are the AI and AIs versions optically the same?

The lens will primarily be used for portraiture (FOV ~75mm on D2x) and

low light conditions.

I am interested in using the 50mm f/1.2 AIs on a D200 when I get one early next year. How does one change the aperture with a manual focus (AIs) lens? Like normal with the aperture ring on the lens? Or by setting it to the minimum aperture and using the command dial on the body?

Not that it matters much. I will find out quick enough when I get one and read the instructions.

It is a very nice lens. But will have its characteristics that you may or may not like. It's a lens to learn how to work with, unlike a dumb normal zoom. You need a high quality coated filter as any degradation on filter comes through entire optical system badly, lens shade is a must.

On question of aperture, you set it manually on the lens.

koorus

Thank you all for your responses. The posted images taken with the 50/F1.2 looks extremly promising. I do have to say though, that the out of focus area does remind me a bit of the dounght rings associated with reflex lens.

It does seem to exhibit this vintange feel with these imperfections though, which is what I'm after.

Don�t forget to look the SARAH folder on my portfolio, it was all taken with this lens.

From what I am seeing since I bought it, its performance is very good. Wide open you should be VERY careful to focus right where you want or you will get soft images, stoped down to f/2.8 this lens will begin to give you very sharp images.

If I remember well, AIS lens have 9 bladed diafragm, and AI, 7. There is a little barrel distortion with this lens, so sometimes it is better be careful of what are you doing. And about bokeh, to me it is one of the best points of this lens, and it doesn�t look like any from the other lenses I have.

One of the differences between the AI version and the AIS is the fact that the latter (AIS) has 9 leaves v.s. 7 for the AI. This does make a big difference in the out-of-focus.

Since getting a like new 50mm 1.2 AIS six months ago I have yet to use any of the other 50mm Nikkors I currently have - 1.8 AIS (1st version), F2 (AI), 1.4 (S-non AI) on my F3HP.

Fantastic lens (IMO).

Shing: I have recieved widely different kinds of bokeh results from this lens, and even one of the older threads on the 50mm f/1.2 prove that. Most of the examples provided in that thread are soft. The one I provided does seem to have an odd bokeh, but in that case it works perfectly.

With this particular optic, like most, bokeh is also a matter of focus distance and how complex the background is. However, in comparison to the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 Nikkors, I still think it's better.

• 7 months later...
I am using an AIS f1.2 Nikkor on my D200. I can't describe how great the results are with this combination. The D200 , when programmed for the manual lens, will recognize the f stop and work in auto/program and manual mode and coupled with the camera's electronic rangefinder gives incredible results. Sharp from edge to edge.