30 million and counting

bobatkins

<I>I must wonder, with sooo many lenses being made in such a hurry, QC has to suffer? I`d

prefer less market flooding with bestter quality products. but it is a throwaway world now.

</i><P>

You have data that QC has gone down, or are you simply making a WAG (wild-ass guess)?

Your first sentence makes an assumption and your second seems to take it as fact.

Hi Mark, I am assumming that when there is such an increase in mass prodution that QC may be affected not only Canon but other manufacturers as they try to keep up. if so my preference would be to wait for a better made item. As usual I`ve been taking more notice of the forums and the number of lens complaints such as the 24 70 f2.8L, 70 200f2.8L etc. Lens that one would expect to be right for the price. I realize that mainly the bad copies are heard about on forums and the good ones go unnoticed. I also see that with digital there have been a huge increase in users, which may account for the numbers,Not sure where to look for these stats, Most of my lenses bar about 5 are over 5 years old and all good I hope Canon does keep good tabs on its QC.

<I>As usual I`ve been taking more notice of the forums and the number of lens

complaints such as the 24 70 f2.8L, 70 200f2.8L etc. Lens that one would expect to be

right for the price. I realize that mainly the bad copies are heard about on forums and the

good ones go unnoticed. I also see that with digital there have been a huge increase in

users, which may account for the numbers,</i><P>

Yes, and if (for a hypothetical example) the number of manufactured lenses goes up by a

factor of ten, you will get 5X as many bad lenses even if QC is twice as good. In much

manufacturing, I believe that in many cases the more units are producee, the better the QC

becomes (more chances to fine-tune the process and eliminate sources of error).

Anecdotal evidence suggests that one has a better chance of getting a lemon camera or

lens if you buy one of the early production units after a new model introduction, instead of

waiting until many more units have been manufactured and the early bugs have been

found and eliminated.

30 million lenses doesn't sound like much at all -- in fact I doubt that number is accurate. So, just 2 million EOS lenses a year right now? With those numbers it means Canon has sold less than 15 million EOS bodies since 1989. Sounds way too low.

>>As usual I`ve been taking more notice of the forums and the number of lens complaints such as the 24 70 f2.8L, 70 200f2.8L etc. <<

You are also assuming that 100% of those posts are NOT user error/ignorance of the product's REAL and expected functions.

People saying "it doesn't work as I expected" or "the IS makes a whirling sound" are hardly basis for sound assumptions.

And you are also assuming that Canon's manufacturing was working at its production limits prior to increasing number to 2 mil per year.

`Anecdotal evidence suggests that one has a better chance of getting a lemon camera or lens if you buy one of the early production units after a new model introduction, instead of waiting until many more units have been manufactured and the early bugs have been found and eliminated.`

That I totally agree with you, some folks used to say years ago `never buy things made on a monday`but that should have changed by now. Must be time for a 5D.

Giampi, I guess it may be difficult to determin the number of genuine faults in these forums, so many times the ans is RTFM. after years living of this work I`ve found sometimes the manual can help with these new bodies. And yes something I learnt years ago and forgot `don`t make assumptions` . Canon has been good for me for over 20yrs.

Cheers

Quality control for Canon is "controlled" by computers that work to +/- 1/10,000th tolerances. The human factor is also involved and machines don't always "burr" their products correctly.<p>Given that the other factors involve OIE (<i>operator induced errors</i>), they (and most manufacturers} do damn well quality control wise.

<p><em>You have data that QC has gone down, or are you simply making a WAG (wild-ass

guess)? </em></p>

<p>if everyone here were held to producing valid sources when stating their opinions,

then the canon forum's wannabe rhetoric professors would have their hands full

policing out the uneducated.</p>

<p>or are only posters with opinions that conflict with yours subject to <strong>evidence

based posting</strong>?</p>

Well I'm sure you're in a much better position to know than Canon is, Ken.

Canon's total camera-division sales are a little over $7 billion a year. According to their annual report, 70% if this was digital cameras. Lenses and film cameras accounted for 15%, or around a billion dollars.

2 million lenses times $300 per lens (assumed average) is $600 million. The numbers are definitely first-order accurate.

"Ocean Physics", (UCSB Geography?) when I originally answered I could nto find the press release on Canon's site. Then the link was posted with this release, <br><i>"...Production of interchangeable EF lenses for Canon EOS-series AF (autofocus) SLR cameras began in 1987 at the company's Utsunomiya Plant. Canon produced its 10-millionth EF lens in August 1995, its 20-millionth in February 2001 and, a mere five years later, has now reached the 30-million plateau."</i>

It just seems low to me as it appears everyone and their mother has a digital rebel and the average camera buyer owns 1.6 Canon lenses (I made that up).<p>

Over and out, Ken