Micro - Macro

lauriee

Hi Mathew,

No my husband didn't buy any kind of extended warrenty of that I can be sure. He won't even do that on things we purchase for the household like appliences. He also didn't buy any extra things from them because the package included what I wanted anyway...I haven't seen it yet but your question concerns me. Do you think the prices are too low and it might not be legit? ( I always stress when he buys things online!)

Laurie

A quick glance at the page shows that Genius seem to split up what should be the standard package that comes with the camera - it should include a battery, charger, cables, and software, not to mention a manual. They then seek to charge outrageous prices for these essentials to make up for the fact that the price for the camera itself is cheap. The memory card that is bundled is really wholly inadequate in size, and their prices for larger ones are extortionate. If you find that elements are missing you would do much better to source them from a reputable supplier such as B&H or Adorama. Here's a link to B&H's page on the D70s for comparison:

http://tinyurl.com/8s24b

I absolutely don't want to be an alarmist or seed a dark cloud over your Christmas but when I read your last post it reminded me of this recent post...

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EMtX

...your hubby may want to do some followup and asked them directly if the camera has the NikonUSA warranty or the store's.

Again not trying to worry you, things are probally just fine but better to know IMHO. (If you are the kind of person that would just rather avoid potential bad news, completely ignore this post.)

<b>L.F.</b> <em>Point and shoots work better for close ups than SLRs because of the DOF... </em>

<p>I don't think I could agree with that without quite a few qualifiers. BUT, I agree with your approach to work with the new camera and then based on that equipment, see what might be the best and most affordable method to get more magnification if required.

<p>I really hope you don't have any problems with the vendor.

<p>Have a wonderful Christmas.

Well here is an update...I was under the misconception that the camera had already arrived and was hidden. Truth be told there has been some serious screwing around happening. My husband said that first, they attempted to charge $2.000 to his account along with the price of the camera. Naturally the credit card company alerted him and wouldn't let either transaction happen. So then they apologize and say that they accidently rang up the wrong order. SO hubby gives them the benifit of the doubt and goes ahead with the order. Today he tells me that they sent him an e-mail saying that the package we want is on backorder and he can cancel the order if he wishes. So with the previous mess and now with this and the things I read to him here he has decided to cancel the order and go somewhere else. Thank you all so much for the warnings. I'm glad it wasn't too late!

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update all of you who helped me out! Santa came early and left me a gorgeous Nikon D70! I'm still reading and practicing with it so I haven't had a chance to test out any Macro/Micro shots...but I'm looking forward to it! Thanks again for all of your help and good advice! I think you saved us some big problems! :-)

Laurie