Sizing for Posting?

dennis lee

Guilty as charged.

I suspect it was my multiple postings on the bokeh of the 28 2.0 AI which

brought the hammer down on posting sizes.

I for one could use a bit of help. What is the best and simplest procedure to

re-size a photo to meet the 511 pixel - 100 kb size for images here on

photo.net?

I have CS2 and generally use 'image size' and then 'Save as - jpeg' but my

files are really all over the place size wise. It seems 'Image Size' is the tool to

use, but what is the most effective, non-repetitive way?

Thanks, and let there be more photo posts!

Try using the 'Save to Web' feature. I'm not sure if it is still called that in CS2 (I'm still using 6.0), but I'm sure something similar exists. My version shows me four different samples, each of varying JPG quality. It can also adjust the quality to meet a specified file size. I downloaded your image from the bokeh post and had no problem getting it well under 100K, or even 50K, without a noticeable loss of image quality.

First, don't take any undue credit when that isn't the case ;-)

(don't ask)

Sizing: PS- Save for web (511 pixel width) and quality 4-9 depending on your image. Not a difficult thing at all.

When posting, give it a caption before you press the submit button. Otherwise, it won't show inline.

You a bokeh large pix offender too? Guess it was both of us :P

I stopped using 'save for web' and went the simple automation of adobe web gallery. In Bridge, go tools/photoshop/web gallery and various styles open up with the all the setings you can imagine for size and quality. I make a folder on my desktop and go intot he folders it creates and delete the rest. Why do I do it this way? I usually do more than one image at one, and in bridge i just select them all and hit play. Quicker and more reliable than running actions. A 511 image should come in at 19k- 27k and look great.

There's a push on right now for uping the size in pixel width here in the Nikon forum and getting it up to the standards of other forums, ie. Street, Wedding, and Leica among others.

Nah, Dennis, it wasn't you in particular. It wasn't anyone in particular. It's just something that occurs occasionally. Periodically folks will post a bunch of oversized photos and we have to remind them to keep them to a reasonable size.

Sometimes it's folks who know better but either want more prominence for their photos or believe that large photos are necessary to illustrate a characteristic of a lens, film, sensor, etc. The latter is understandable, which is why oversized photos are allowed as attachments via links from the threads.

Other times it's folks who are fairly new to digital image editing and don't know how to resize photos to a reasonable size for web viewing. Nobody is born knowing this stuff so most of us are patient with the occasional lapse.

Hmmm, I resize images to 500 pixels and less than 100k, but mine still appear as a link. Do I have to put something in the caption field in order for the image to appear in the post as an image rather than a link?<div>00EydQ-27714284.jpg.ce185cec0d93f2e7dfe189d519f36c42.jpg</div>

By the way, if you need to post a larger image (in terms of area) exceeding 511 pixels across, that is perfectly fine as long as it appears as a link. However, anything wider or longer than 900 to 1000 pixels becomes hard to read as one need to scroll and cannot view the entire image at once.

Yes, if you attach an image to a post, it must have a caption (and within 511 pixels horizontally) in order to appear in line rather than as a link.