which is better brolly boxes or umbrellas

james_c._reed_sr.

I'm in the process of buying lighting equipment, alienbees (B800 &

B400). Plan to use the B800 for main light, a reflector for fill

light, and the B400 to light a backdrop. What would you recommend for

softening the main light? I don't have a studio, I'll be working from

my living room. I thought that an umbrella or brolly box would

require less space than a softbox. I need help friends

I have umbrellas, sof boxes and umbrella boxes. If I were to keep only ONE I would keep the umbrella box made by Photek (the SoftlighterII).

It can be used as an umbrella box, bounce or shoot-through umbrella. You can't beat that kind of verstility. In addition, it's very easy to setup and breakdown for location shoots.

Any one of those would work to soften the light, and I don't think there is really a whole lot of difference in space requirements for medium/large size softboxes vs umbrellas.

I prefer using enclosed softboxes (rectangular with black sides and a diffused front panel), which IMO make for a more comfortable shooting environment. You can move around in a small space without fear of getting poked in the eye or back of head by the umbrella. You can also shoot right next to the softbox since the light is directed at the subject, not bouncing back into your eyes or lens.

Aside from physical factors, I think the softbox light is easier to adjust and feather.

Of course, you will need to add a speed ring or two to fit softboxes on the ABs.

They all work fine, but a softbox will give you better control of the light placement, and "brollybox" is next most contollable and an umbrella can spill light all over the room, especially if you shoot through. In a small room with light walls and ceiling, this excess spill can mean higher contrast, directional lighting is almost impossible. You might try a small silver umbrella (<a href="http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/LW3015.html?ac.cat.CatTree.detail=y&type=PRDINDEX">27 in Tota Standard Silver $30</a>) a medium softbox (about a <a href="http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/RM3132.html?ac.cat.CatTree.detail=y&type=PRDINDEX">24x32 Nova from Calumet for $80</a> or a 22x30 Illumina which is a much shallower profile for $130) and a <a href="http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/PK1060.html?ac.cat.CatTree.detail=y&type=PRDINDEX">60inch Photek Softliter</a> for your huge light source ($85) that is only about 18inches deep. You'll need a speed ring for the softbox. This set would give you a huge range of light types for a "minimal" (haha) investment... t

Umbrellas will be the best choice and softliter is good advice. You don't need to use a AB for

a background light. First of all it is to much power and you will have to get a small stand

power wire runing across your back drop. I suggest buying a battery power strobe such as

lumedyne 200 w/s Use the other AB for your fill light. The use of one main light and

reflector is good for only a couple of people. full length pictues will not benifit with a

reflector. Have a main and fill light set up with a small background light.

Michael http://www.michaelmowery.com

As Tom said, softboxes offer the most control of the light with less spill. Since you'll be shooting in your living room with possibly lower ceilings, less room, maybe even color walls and carpet, you'll definately benefit from the control that softboxes give you.

Similarly sized reflective umbrellas need more space than softboxes because the light has to travel from the source to the umbrella, back past the source and then to the subject. Shoot-thru umbrellas reflect as much light as they pass and light large areas of the room, changing the shadow exposures and degrading the lighting ratio that you've created.

Umbrellas will work but why make things more difficult?

Can you tell I haven't used an umbrella in the studio for over 25 years? It's been that many years since I've used an umbrella on location, now that I think about it. #8^)

I'm suprised at some of the responses, my experiance is different.

I have more light control with an umbrella than with a softbox.

Umbrella light is more directional, has more of a hot spot.

When I turn an umbrella across the set, I can even out the lighting.

Softboxes are broader light sources, the function of turning it across a set accomplishes much different things. Feathering a softbox is different than pointing an umbrella.

I also think that an umbrella takes up less space than a soft box. I keep my softbox on a (retractable) boom so that I can point it down when I want.

And in general, an umbrella is immediately adjustable by moving the light closer or further up the shaft. Softboxes are not so adjustable. The only limitation I see to the umbrella is that you can't get it really close to the subject, but maybe at that point you really want a harder light anyway.

I don't know about 'brollyboxes', never worked with them.

I think my experiance might be different because 1. I don't shoot that many 'consumer' portraits, and 2. I don't work in a tight space.

If I had to choose one light though, I'd probably get the box, because a broad soft light is so pretty and useful, and you can get control of a box after you've played around with it a while. In conjunction with another light with a large reflector you can do just about everything. Umbrellas though, are so simple and visually accurate. What you see is what you get, as opposed to boxes where the light sometimes comes as a suprise.

But those are just my thoughts and opinions anyway, Good luck!