still-lifes to location. I was looking at Speedotron and have heard

good and bad things about them. There doesn't seem to be any other

brands though in that same price range. The only other system that

I've found was close is the Profoto Acute 2 packs. Does anyone have

any suggestions? I like to do things right the first time and that's

why I need help.

Thanks

Nick

I am in your position though. I am trying to find a good system to start and built up on it later on.

In my situation, the most important thing is to be PORTABLE and to shoot outdoors day time or nite time. So my first option according to my research will be battery powered strobe lighting. In this category you dont have much choice,

Profoto 7B2 (the most current model) which is about $4862 in B&H(NY) and it doesnt come with a head or any accessories.

Profoto 7B is $2994 and I think it includes 1 head or something.

Broncolor Mobil 1200W/S Travel Kit is $3098 which comes with 1 Flash Head(1600W/S) Power pack,Battery, Charger and case.

Hensel Porty Premium 1200AS Kit is $2968

Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100W/S Power pack kit is $2617

These are the good portable light options which you can use also indoors with AC power. (At least this is what I came up with my research).

If you need a little feedback for HMI lights, I used Jokerbug HMI 200W and liked it very much. ALthough the power is very low since its 200w , if I had the money I would start building my sytem with 400w HMI and buy the rest later on.

Thats it from me now.

I would get 2 dynalite1000 kits or 2 profoto acute2 1200 kits each kit has one pack and 2

heads. so you'd end up w/ 2 packs and 4 heads. If you get 2 profoto kits you will go a bit

over budget though. Speedotron packs are heavy beasts and I personally would not get

them if I were going to be bringing stuff on location. profoto acute2's and dynalite packs

are a lot lighter. Also, i would stick with 2 1200 packs instead of one 2400 so you have

more control over your lighting.

With the money you've got, you can get a pretty flexible and damn near complete system if you go with the Profoto Acutes, go2 the Midwest Photo Exchange site, they have some interesting deals which'll give you a rough yardstick about deals. They have a 7B 'demo' w/a new warranty w/one head for $1999.00, which they call 'refurbished', this could be anything from they take out of the box and put it back in, to some kind of repair, but I'd just ask them, they might just tell you,......they have a 'value-pak' on a 1200ws Acute 2(you'll have to call to C if they include U 2 heads) for around $2400.

You can deal on the above mentioned prices, if not with these folks, from other dealers, because it cost U nothing to hang up the phone, but it costs the guy on the other end of the phone a sale.

The best way to go with this is call around, WITHOUT TELLING them how much money U got, for a package deal, the pack(S) WITH whatever heads you want, the heads are a fortune bought piecemeal,.............so if you know you'll eventually need a ringlight, or a bi-tube, it's cheaper to get everything in a package at the same time, there are also educational deals, and promotions where they throw in an extra head w/a package.

Call up MPEX and ALL-Kit for starters, I've dealt w/both, they'll deal, I purchased gear from MPEX, it wasn't up to 'snuff', I called them, they apologized IMMEDIATELY, without questioning my word on what I was saying was wrong w/what they sent me and sent a refund IMMEDIATELY, they'll talk straight to you.............ALL-Kit will deal w/you, I know, I got my Acute 2 from them, and it was NOWHERE near retail, I saved xxxx on the deal.

A deal for 2 packs and three heads is a distinct possibility for $4500 with a warranty, I would not get strobe gear without a warranty, plus find out how long it's been sitting.

Check out MPEX, All-Kit, B&H, Cals Cameras, and I'm sure some other folks can chime in w/other outlets, research the best deals, call these folks back and start w/the lowest price you can find, and ask them if they can beat that price,...............for a package consisting of 2 1200ws Acute 2 packs and three heads, they WILL DEAL.

I have set-up just about every professional strobe system as an assistant. I own a Dyna-lite setup. It is ok, you should consider renting a setup and trying it out. I think the heads are sort of clunky (I have three 2040 heads and one 4040 head). I bought two 1000J power packs and the used heads and I came in around $3k. Avoid the non-blower head. I know several Dallas and LA pros who use (or at least used 2 years ago) Dyna-lites. One thing is you can't buy (or rent) a ring light for Dyna-lite but you can for Profoto Acute2.