Very Fast B&W conversions. Interested?

fotografz

"Brad's tip on clicking on the tone chart itself is also helpful, since there's no indication to do

that to get to adjustments what-so-ever. Cryptic developers at Photoshop must think we're

mind readers."

No kidding. Half of the computing world seems like that to me. The first Mac I owned, I

couldn't figure out how to eject a CD. A friend finally told me to drag it to the trash, as if that

were the most logical thing in the world. :-(

Thank you Marc. I usually work with chromo film scanned to CD for b/w, but this helps for digital conversions. Also, thank you Brad for your add-on to this. Most appreciated. Very good info. I will make a print-out for reference since my memory seems brain-dead recently. ;))

Thank you all for this great advice! I have been "playing" with my b&w conversions trying to get them just right. Tried this technique last night and it worked great! I also did the layer opacity adjustment for that old-fashioned look. I LOVE photo.net! ;-)

Katie

I still like Clayton Jones technique which is easy to setup as an action, and is easy to tweak if necessary. As an action it is instant too.

Step 1. Open a Hue/Sat adjustment layer and click okay. DO not adjust

Step 2. Open Channel Mixer layer

Step 3. Check Monochrome in channel mixer

Step 4. Set red to 60%, green to 40% and blue 0%

Step 5. If you don't like the channel conversion, you can open the Hue/Sat layer and by moving the hue slider, tweak the image.

Of course you can also alter the channel mix if desired. Once this is set up as an action, you can do it instantly and have an easy way to tweak.

Paul

Hahahaha well well well I was just about to implement that split channel red/green method

Marc posted a few months ago for the "Dreamy look" to over 70 images... needless to say

that would have taken a while. I like this look with the gradient map alot to oh and I'd

rather have some free time this week! Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...