Scanning MF Transparencies

dglickstein

I have the Nikon 8000, which produces the same resolution, and have had no problems going up to 30x30 with 6x6 transparencies, so I would think, you could just as easily go 30x22.5.

<P>That said, I am also using a home made glass holder, not the standard issue holder, which is really useless of you need focus across the entire frame.

I have an LS-8000, which I use for 6x6 film (Hasselblad). The color and resolution is excellent. My scans (cropped) are 8500x8500 pixels, which is over 350 ppi at 24x24 without resampling. The largest prints I can make at home are 13x19 at present, which are a piece of cake with these scans.

You will need a glass film holder if you want your results to be sharp from corner to corner. The Nikon holders are expensive, but worth the money. The upper glass has anti-Newton's Rings treatment. The lower glass has an anti-reflectance coating (like a camera lens) for the same reason, but so that no granular pattern is between the film and glass. To avoid Newton's Rings, you should place the film emulsion-side-down, and use one of the supplied masks on top of the film if necessary.

Good color is not something that just happens. It takes practice, good software and preferably calibration. I use SilverFast AI, which uses IT8 calibration for reversal film. For high-precision work, I use Gretag-MacBeth Color Checker charts to profile negative film.

I echo what's already been said here. I shoot 645 and scan with the Nikon 8000--mostly B&W negs but also color transparencies. Fabulous results as far as 17 x 22 and from looking at cropped sections, I could go to 30" square with no trouble.

A lot of resolution bang for the buck compared with, say, a Phase One P25! A lot of time required, though!

I dont own a Nikon scanner, but I did a lot of comparisons before I bought a drum scanner, and the Nikon scanner is very close. So close that if all you scan is MF, a drum scanner might not be worth the extra hassle. I wanted to scan 4x5 and 8x10 also, so a drum scanner was my only option.

As far as enlargements, I think it is highly dependent on the camera lens and film and technique. I generally stick to 10-12x as a rule, but I recently did a 16x enlargement from a Pentax 67II with a super sharp 300mm EDIF lens and E100G film. IMO E100G is the cleanest scanning film around. Wet scanned at 2000-2500 dpi it is almost a dead ringer for bayer digital. Very clean.

I scan 6x7 (Mamiya 7) chromes with a Minolta MultiPro using the glass carrier. It's so good that other imperfections such as exact focus, camera movement, exposure, film flatness during scan, etc. all begin to become a factor when previously they got lost. But do it all perfect and it's "WOW".

Personally, I don't have use for big prints. At 10"x11.7", it has that special look you get from a bigger piece of film and makes you not want to shoot 35m any more.

I've had excellent results scanning 6x6 with an Epson 2450, printing to 8x8 with an HP7960, however I've recently gotten an 8750 and tried a few at 13x13 and they were just ok, no better than the same sized print from a 35mm neg scanned on my Canon 4000. I can't afford even a used Nikon 8000 so I ordered an Epson 4990 and am hoping that with studied use of Vuescan's multi-pass feature and Focal Blade sharpener software I can turbocharge the 4990's output to get within spitting distance of a film scanner. I'm one of those folks who recognizes that the average viewer is moved by the content of a photo a lot more than the technical specs, so I'm sure I'll be ok, but if I ever have the need to have a really huge print done I figured it'd be more economical to get a drum scan done on those few occasions rather than go into hock over a film scanner for MF.

I've had excellent results scanning 6x6 with an Epson 2450, printing to 8x8 with an HP7960, however I've recently gotten an 8750 and tried a few at 13x13 and they were just ok, no better than the same sized print from a 35mm neg scanned on my Canon 4000.

From my comparisons that sounds about right. Two things that drive me nuts about the larger formats, are the softness of a lot of lenses. Some systems vary widely. Some of the old MF cameras are just plain fuzzy. Some of the newer lenses are fairly sharp. A few like the Mamiya 7 are tack sharp, but you loose a lot of that advantage scanning on a Epson flatbed.

LF lenses are even worse and all over the board. I finally found a group of LF lenses that are just about as sharp as anything else I have used.

It does not surprise me that your 35mm film scanner is giving you just as good of results as your Epson with 6x6. I figured my 4870 was limited to around 30 lp/mm so in that respect it can kill an enlargement. If you combine that with a softish MF lens it can get down right fuzzy.

For argument sake, say you 35mm slide is resolving 50 lp/mm. You could enlarge 12.5x to print at 4 lp/mm if your 35mm film scanner could actually resolve 50lp/mm on film which I am sure it can. that would be 12x18

For MF since your scanning with the Epson is limited to 30lp/mm, you loose most of the advantage of shooting 6x6. To print at 4 lp/mm you would be limited to a 7.5x enlargement. That would work out to around 17x17.

Dont get me wrong. I think the 4990 is a good scanner for the price and especially since it will do 8x10 but the soft edges drives me nuts.

I have done quite a few drum scan/4870 tests as mentioned above and I finally figured out that the difference between a drum or film scanner and a soft scanner like an Epson, would reduce the advantage of a format jump to almost nil, as far as detail. IE comparing a 4870 scan of 4x5 is roughly equal to a 6x7 drumscan or Nikon 8000 scan etc etc.

One thing the Epson is great at is killing film grain on E100G. It is pretty much non existent so that is a plus.

Also I did a lot of sharpening test before i got my drum scanner and if an image has a fuzzy edge over 2-3 pixels it becomes difficult to work. Unfortunately my Epson scanner produces mostly a 5 pixel edge at 2400 dpi and I had the best luck doing a layered sharpening routine, with a combination of high pass and Focus magic. Its a real PIA though.

IMO only, I feel that if enlargeing an Epson scan I am better off doing a 1200 dpi scan, working that and enlarging 6x to a lightjet at 204 dpi. Beyond 1200 dpi and its very difficult to clean up the edges.

Here are some comparisons if you guys are interested.

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/drum_comparisons