350D: turn off shutter sound?

jeremy_center

holy crap. remind me not to post after a holiday weekend. If I wanted to use a hammer I'd probably aim it at some not-so-helpful posters.

I'm not a novice. My film camera is an A2 and I've been shooting for several years. Oh yeah, and I'm an EE so I'm used to eating complex technical concepts all day long.

My A2 had a way of making the shutter sound a little softer, or quieter, or maybe it was the motor noise -- can't recall offhand. Added to that I somehow got the impression (apparently incorrect) that the XT shutter sound was electronically enhanced. So I put to two together.

JC

I don't know if the XT has this feature, but if it has mirror lockup, you can trip that first, then the shutter. Doesn't eliminate the overall sound, of course, just spreads it out over time. Other than that, there's always the hammer....or earplugs...or a nice, loud ipod.... (Sorry about that!) :)

ahhhh the wonder-F***ing-full word of the public forum!

the XT is fully mechanical thus there are no "Pre-recorded" sound for the shutter. In fact the only sound i can recall is the focus beep.

I do, also, have the PRO1 that you can shut off the shutter sound but then again, it isnt a DSLR and you can actually pick a different sound from a list. As for the DSLR's.. not an option at this point.

-zacker-

<I>If you don't want shutter noise, don't own a SLR.</I><P>

If you don't want <I>mirror</I> noise then don't own an SLR. All film cameras have some shutter arrangement (even if it is just a hat over the lens) whether or not they are SLRs. Many compact digital cameras do not have a shutter (though my G2 has the equivalent of a leaf shutter). The Nikon CCD cameras can use an electronic shutter so shutter noise is not a prerequisite of an SLR (though admittedly the still have a shutter and so still make a shutter noise even when it is not used to control the exposure.). <P>

Jeremy,<P>

You have been spoilt. The A2 is a very quiet camera.

I also have A2 (in Europe EOS 5) it is so quite with Canon 24-85mm USM lens... :D When I went to the shop and I saw EOS 350 D with kit lens I didn't like it. The AF was loud and body was too small for me... I like when I feel that I hold camera in my hands. I'm using using EOS 5 and I don't need anything else now, sometimes I just scan negatives in good Kodak lab.

You can't do anything to make your camera quieter, but after few weeks you'll get used to it. If not you can always atart using your A2 again :D

Michael

<i>holy crap. remind me not to post after a holiday weekend. If I wanted to use a hammer I'd probably aim it at some not-so-helpful posters.</i><p>Well sorry your nose is out of joint.... but ask an unbelievably stupid question, and you're guaranteed to get a bunch of equally stupid/unhelpful replies in an open forum like this one, man. At your apparent level of camera expertise, you might just need a slightly thicker skin.

Right, it was the motor winding noise, not the shutter noise. I use Elan 7Ne and has an option of "silent rewinding" which takes longer but is quieter ("whisper drive" technology). I think it's same technology in EOS 5 and A2.

<p>

I handled briefly the 350d a while back and listening to it made me think that it produces not only the shutter and mirror slap noises but some artificially generated film rewind noise. Having handled many other point&shoot cameras, miniDV, and phone cameras, I know that some manufacturers like to make the "camera" produce noises as if they were real film SLRs (shutter, mirror, wind and sometimes even flash noises).

<p>

That sound is usually output by a speaker though, and I doubt the 350D has a speaker. So I don't think the camera generates some artificial noise that could be turned off.

<p>

Otherwise, there are those cases that can protect the camera and colaterally "muffle" somehow the shutter sound. Canon EOS 350D's case, similar to <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CACSG2.html?searchinfo=Canon%20case%20eos%20350d&item_no=1">

this</a>, but the one I've tried is not that effective. Zing pro is a case made of neoprene, maybe more silent.

<p>

Using a waterproof case may reduce the sound even further.

Probably the quietest cameras are those old photo chambers(?) where one exposes by manually removing the lens cap. Manual photography...

<p>

Then there are Hexars, then any mechanically rewinded rangefinders and SLRs and so on. I just read it on a related <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000wOu">thread</a> on this open forum.

Tough luck, fast-moving mechanical parts aren't typically silent, especially in consumer devices.

Sound-deadening materials are one way, but using a camera with fewer moving parts would help much more (e.g. Sony DSC-R1).

LOL.

Jeremy, you made my day.

I think it's *because* you're an EE you thought it was programmed in! (Lowly CE here...)

Coming from a family of engineers, this will make an excellent engiNERD joke over the holidays ; )

Since this thread is shot anyway...

A Mathematician, a Physicist, and an Engineer were sitting on a park bench when a red ball came to rest in front of them.

The Mathematician says, "If we measure the diameter of the ball, we can get it's volume by 4/3pi(d/2)^3..."

The Pysicist chimes in, "...or simply submerse it in water and measure the volume of water displaced."

The Engineer looked dumbfounded and said, "Why not just look it up in the Red Ball Book?"

<em>...but using a camera with fewer moving parts would help much more (e.g. Sony DSC-R1)</em>

<p>

Yes, it could. But, from reading the web: the 350d mechanical shutter can go up to 1/4000ths of a second while the DSC-R1 electronic "shutter" only 1/2000; and, 350d iso1600 electronic noise is a bit lower than DSC-R1's, because it doesn't heat (because there's a real shutter). Anyways.

Alexandru: you can't have your bread and eat it too.

The top shutter speed might be lower, but it probably has the advantage of allowing a higher sync speed, and of being able to take a picture where the entire frame is exposed at the same time, even at 1/2000s (which no focal-plane shutter and no common leaf shutter that I'm aware of can achieve).