Rate of prices of DSLR

drjt87

Just wondering, is there a place I can find the past trend in the

prices of DSLR? I know the prices keep dropping, but how fast? I was

going to make a graph myself, but the wayback machine doesn't seem

to be working for me. Anyone can help?

Looking at prices of used digital cameras I found a half-life of 1.85 years by averaging on a dozen DSLRs and prosumer Sony cameras. That is to say the DSLR you buy <u>new</u> today will be worth about one half of its retail price in November 2007 in <u>used</u> condition .

This number helps me to resist buying a new D200. Given that I shoot one 'film' per week my costs for camera equipment resulted in $0.25 per image (no cards, no computer, no printer). In detail: $1699*50%/(1.85*52*36)</p>

The prices of new released DSLRs are pretty much constant in respect to their product segment. I expect the D300 to cost as much as the D200 and the D100.

However, when all is said and done, shooting digital SLRs is more expensive than film. My experience of 25+ years with 35mm film and almost 6 years now with digital is pretty clear. I'll elaborate if that's required but it's a well-worn topic here at PN.

That's not true if you shoot a lot and you don't "upgrade" every 12 months. Film is cheaper if you shoot a few rolls a year and keep your film camera for a decade.

A bicycle is cheaper than a car - and both can get you from "A" to "B" - but it's a lot less convenient. Cost isn't everything.

Actually now DLSR prices aren't really dropping at the consumer end of the market. They're $600-$800 for the lowest end models and around $1200-1500 for the "prosumer" models. Performance and features are increasing, but price is pretty much holding steady.