June lake loop (East Sierra) camping ground?

kevin_qu

We are going to East Sierra for fall color this coming weekend. The

plan is to visit June lake loop and Bishop Canyon creek. I checked

reserveusa.com for camping grounds near June lake loop. The two

reservable camping grounds (June lake and Oh! Ridge ) are not

available.

There are a few first come first serve camping grounds nearby. We

will arrive around 6PM Friday. Will we have trouble find a site

around this time of the year?

Thanks,

Kevin

Last Saturday morning two of the campgrounds on the water were full - I don't recall which campgrounds they were - maybe Gull Lake and June Lake. There's probably plenty of space at Oh Ridge, and last weekend French Camp (near Tom's Place) did not come close to filling up.

Oh Ridge has almost half of its sites first come first serve, so you shouldn't have problems there. If you prefer to stay closer to June Lake, then at Lee Vining there are a whole bunch of county campgrounds which are all first come first serve along highway 120 between Lee Vining and Tioga Pass. I was in Bishop Creek canyon Oct 1st weekend and on friday evening, the campgrounds had plenty open space: all of them are first come first serve.

Up Hwy 168 from Bishop (headed west), taking the fork going towards South Lake, there is a biggish campground called Four Jeffrey. Last weekend - sat night at 6PM, I could find a place there. You could always use it as a last "resort"!

Best,

Vinay

There's also Deadman Creek campground, about halfway between Mammoth and Lee Vining

(pretty close to the southern turn-off to June Lakes on Hwy. 395). It's a USFS campground; I

presume it's closed

in winter but I'm not sure when that shutdown will occur.

The campgrounds in Lee Vining Canyon are very nice, but can be quite nasty for mosquitos

earlier in the year. My guess is that this particular menace will not be an issue in October.

I would recommend the private campground just 1 mile East of the town of June Lake on

SR158 on June Lake Beach Road. Compared to public campgrounds it has the advantage of

having available space (you can reserve in advance) and hot showers. And it is not much

more expensive.

Pine Cliff Resort: 760/648-7558