I've starting looking for a used Dark Room...

I've starting looking for a used Dark Room in my area as per advice

in this forum and I've found one I just want to know if its worth

the asking price. The add says, "Complete Dark Room set up with like

new Vivitar VI color enlarger. $200.00" A quick response to this

question would be greatly appreciated so I can get it before someone

else if its worth it. Thank you.

A list of what makes it complete would be helpful my complete and the next persons complete may be totally different. I am not an expert on Vivitar enlargers.(I own an Omega b-22 and Besler 23CIII.)If it works can be aligned and is in good condition comes with at least trays, measure, thermometer, lens, neg. carrier and some sort of timer it is a good deal, If for no other reason than you will have some equipment to make future purchase comparisons on. Take a look at it and make your mind up, Keep in mind locally is always better than shipping which gets expensive on enlargers.

One more thought do you only do 35mm or do you dabble in MF. What does this enlarger support? Let us know if you get it. Good Luck.

,Grinder

It's hard to know based on such limited information. But I see so much darkroom gear being sold a low prices that, unless I was in a hurry, I wait until something better (in terms of the enlarger) comes along.

Brands to look for would include Omega, Beseler, and Durst. But keep in mind each made enlargers across the spectrum - beginner to pro.

Also, the lens (or lenses) included make a big difference.

Place a "wanted" ad in Craigslist (if there's a site in your area)and see what pops up.