Please point me towards your 35mm Summicron pics.

terry_rory

Yankin. Don't be a smartass. Trevor already put enough research into his decision, plus everyone knows that Leica makes great lenses so there is no need to salivate over MTF charts. He is on the hump and wants a little nudge to get over to it plus it makes for a great community discussion. We're all friends here and we're just talking.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rene Braun Photo.net Patron Prolific Poster, jan 03, 2006; 01:00 p.m.

Yankin. Don't be a smartass. Trevor already put enough research into his decision, plus everyone knows that Leica makes great lenses so there is no need to salivate over MTF charts. He is on the hump and wants a little nudge to get over to it plus it makes for a great community discussion. We're all friends here and we're just talking."

Yeah? Well I wasn't getting that when Trevor said "I want to see some idea of its capabilities." And maybe you and your friends call each other smartass but my friends have manners and class so I wasn't getting that part either.

Just to be fair here, Trevor didn't ask people to limit their links to files of 200K or below - and some have in fact provided links to larger scans.

And as the Noctilux/coma link below demonstrates, you can in fact tell quite a bit about a lens from small files - provided you're looking for the right things and you've chosen the images carefully.

Trevor, most of these were taken w/35 Cron 4th version or next to last 50 cron. The first 4 w/ the 35. Its a great lens for both detail and contrast They have a very similar feel to me. There's also a couple of 21 mm CV's but the tonal look of these is completely different and should stick out.

Barry Fisher

Trevor - I bought a 35mm Summicron for my M6 last year and took it to South Africa in January with the intention of using it for most shots possibly to the exclusion of my 50mm. Not one of the 35mm shots satisfied me as they appeared to be snapshots because you pack more into the picture with the wider view. I feel I now know why HCB and Ronis used the 50mm almost exclusively. I'm now using my 50mm almost to the exclusion of my 35mm. Don't get me wrong, the sharpness and quality is excellent but it is a snapshot lens - as Leica defined it in the 1930s. Good luck with yours.

I hope I will be forgiven for not getting back to everyone personally with feedback on their contributions here. (There is a lot to look at and I am going to bookmark the thread and try to get around to looking at all of it in between work and sleep and other members of the family having some time on the PC.)

So I hope a 'global' thank-you will suffice. I must admit this is far more than I expected to receive. (Never realised this lens was so popular.)

respect gentlemen !

It is a pleasure to read the majority of posts on photo.net and the leica forum is exceptional - certainly a special place to be and to spend time.

Anthony - I am with you in parts reg. the 35mm lenght - but but... after trying 24, 35, 50 and 75 - the 35 is the one I would pick, if I would go onto an island for some months/year thats very clear.

Shooting people with the 35, especially on the street is more a challenge, as you have to get quite close - but then you get rewarded with sensational quality.

HCB and others choose the 50 as it is more discrete distance wise for street shooting.

In a way, the 50 is already a small telelens for my feel - probably the ideal carry-one-lens-only is the 40 for the CL...

Anyway - if a photographer likes to get real close up - then the 35 is the lens of choice

Trevor,

Like you, I've just been reading up on the lens and have just purchased a 35mm Apsh and

an M3. This is from my first test shoot yesterday. I am very impressed with the lens. The

pics have a special character.

The attached shot is at Salford Quays in the UK on Jessops 200asa film at f2.8 and 1/1000

second. The roll was processed by Costco for 99p and the image comes from a CD

supplied for a further ᆪ1:39 !! Image size for this was 4 mb. I'm currently scanning the

roll at 4000 ppi to take a look at the finer detail and it's looking good. The lens is very

sharp and a quick portrait at 0.7 metres at f2 at 1/125 sec gives individual eye lashes.

Quite enjoying the effort.<div>00Eite-27279884.jpg.510178e461c7ab3ae0b912529656ebef.jpg</div>