Am insane to consider travelling with the hasselblad?

marke_gilbert

I agree if you pay the extra cost for MF/120 films,it doesn't make any sense not to use a tripod. Thus, if you don't want to carry a tripod, bring 35mm gear instead. Regardless of whether or not you use a tripod, 120 format will always deliver the quality that 35mm cannot match. Film size does matter.

I've opted for another alternative - a Bronica RF645 (the $450 rebate helped me make the decision). Lense selection is limited (45mm, 65mm, and 100mm) but it really is light and compact. And it is *so* much better than 35mm, even handheld!

I have a MF SLR, too - a Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Nice camera with a huge assortment of lenses. More versatile than the Bronica. But sometimes a light and very quiet camera is nice.

Robert

Good for you Marke - why not!?

This is where the saying "different horses for different courses" is valauble. In the end only you can decide that. Naturally the following will be key considerations in a comparative context: size/bulk/weight; perferred negative size for the shooting purpose; operational convenience.

For me I always begin by planning to take my Hasselblad kit - it is by far my preferred set of tools. Then I sonsider the relative circumstances such as the criteria above.

For travelling I may end up taking my Leica M kit (or parts of it) because the issues of size, convenience etc have a greater weighting. Or I may decide upon my Linhof 4x5 because very large negatives may be the overriding consideration. Or I may decide upon my 1VHS 35mm SLR kit because speed, convenience etc override other issues.

But, having said that; the next time I do Italy and France, I will be taking my 503CW, selected lenses and my XPan II. Nothing other than LF comes close when you are inside a 16th century building trying to capture the extraordinary detail in frescos and other works of past geniuses!

So just consider those types of criteria as objectively as you can and go with that. No one can judge your selected/preferred kit for the occasion - we all differ. But at least you will know why you made that choice. When you return you may think with that experience had, that you would decide differently in the future.

Even if no one else has travelled with the same kit before, that does not make your decision to do so a bad one!

Enjoy Asia, there's so much to see and enjoy.

I don't think weight would be a problem since the SWC plus 500 series and a lens and two

backs won't be too heavy to carry on a back pack. You should consider whether either

format would benefit your style of photography. A big negative won't help if you are in a

dim interior shooting people and the only camera on you has a f/4.5 lens loaded with Velvia.

I too would like to consider shooting 4x5 for everything but know that is not possible.

Been there, done that.

Take two cameras, each with a single lens, plus an extra Hasselblad back. Take a

lightweight tripod and use it regularly. Spend your time walking and making pictures, not

obessing about equipment. Seriously, in the time you'll be spending (a) worrying about

your equipment's security; (b) deciding which lens and which body to use; and © trying to

remember how you want each system set up, you won't be spending much time doing

what you set out to do.

Guaranteed, you will get better results if you settle down into, for example, a 35 or 50mm

for the SLR and either the 80 or the 60 for the Hasselblad. Lighter weight, less to worry

about, easier, and, in my opinion, sane.

I would bring the 903 and 503+80 and leave the 60 behind. A back for both. I wouldn't want the constant hassle to switch backs and leave the rear of 38 lens unprotected. If weight was more concern, I would just take the 503 with 60, or maybe just the 903. I would bring a small tripod. These central shutter cameras can do with even lighter tripod than a typical 35mm SLR. Small photo backpack is convenient for carrying it all.

I have a Hassleblad 503CX and think it is a great piece of kit. However, when I travel I take a Mamiya 7 + 65/80/150 lens. Weight is not a problem and, most importantly, the quality of the lens' are fabulous. I have recenly improved the lens quality even more by using Heliopan and Lee filters. I would be reluctant to take the same line up of lens for a Hasselblad. Hope this is a help. Enjoy your trip.