Collapsible Summicron Front Element Recoat, Signature Change?

jeff voorhees

After finding one small discussion in the archives on this topic,

I'm asking.

The coating on this lens is pretty chewed up, it is however only in

the coating, not the glass. As I understand it, this lens is single

coated from the factory. John at Focal Point does a single coating

of magnesium fluoride and Arax does a multi-coating.

Does anyone have any experience with a change in lens signature,

particularly with the Focal Point work? My guess is that a new

single coating would restore the lens rather closely to factory spec

and multi-coating may show a bit of a contrast increase.

Would anyone care to share their experience?

Many thanks.

I've heard nothing but good of Focal Point, but can't see the economic point of spending $$$

on recoating the front element of a collapsible; buying a perfect one will cost less, and the

results are more predicatbale - i've just bought one with perfect coating for $250.

Jeff: I had a 50DR recoated by Focal Point. The CLA was good, but the external cleaning left a bit to be desired. Thumbprint or similar on the rear element. I am not a critical shooter, but I did not notice a difference in the lens except a slight increase in contrast. After cleaning the thumbprint off, I am satisfied with the result and would do it again if the occasion presented itself. This was done 6 years ago for $235.00.

Mark J.

About 20 years ago I had a DR Summicron recoated because of some severe cleaning marks on the front element. Afterwards, the lens was "soft" at best (certainly not as good as it was with the scratches in place). At that point I sold the lens (then in "mint" condition) and swore I would never do it again.

IMHO, if the lens is scratched, just live with it or, if the scratches bother you, get rid of it.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Jeff I sent my Collapsible Summicron to focal point 10 days ago and am waiting (excitedly) for its return. As I will then be in possession of both a focal point recoated lens and an original in very nice *p* condition I'm hoping to be able to do a comparison for the forum. So if you can be patient...

John-

Yes indeed, I am interested to hear your impressions after you compare the two lenses. I've heard nothing but good things about John Van Stelton and have talked to him myself. My reason for asking about Focal Point's work specifically in my post is that if I decide to have this done, that is where I'm sending my Summicron.

I look forward to your next post.