Detached leatherette on M4

john_boyle3

Guys!-- The gentlelman just wants to re-adhere some loose Vulcanite from the back door of his M4, not rebuild the whole camera.

I suggest using a contact bond adhesive such as Pliobond. It is elastic enough to secure the covering. The LAST thing I would want is

a water based, hard drying, brittle adhesive.

BTW, I have a spare back door from an M4 available. The paint is in lousy condition, but the Vulcanite is perfect.

Heather, if those are lyrics, ... wow! I have goose-bumps.

John, I tried a kind of gummy rubber glue like Elmer's once, and it ultimately worked loose again in a month or so ... tried superglue and it worked fine and is still solid months later. The only red flag I would raise is ... dismount the lens, tape over the finder, and keep the fumes away from any glass or chrome. The fumes will leave a kind of smoky residue on glass or shiny surfaces. But if you keep it on the camera back, you should be fine and it'll do the job better than the gummy types.

Heather, I'm glad to learn that those were lyrics that you posted. I feared you were OD'd on Absinthe! I must be too old, I've never heard those lyrics. From whence do they emanate? It's good to read your jolly contributions again, long time no see. Best regards, Bill

Even if the back is removable, do not use superglue because of the out-gassing. It is a PITA to remove, if needed. Pliobond sounds perfect, or some RTD elastic, which can be removed with the roll of the finger. By all means use the original Vulcanite as long as possible, as the replacements have a different texture.