Buy now.....or after Christmas?

Okay, I'm just about ready.....I gathered from a question I asked on

this forum that the D70s was the way to go within my price range and

needs....etc.....

<P>

So, are there any special sale times for digital?

<P>

I found a good price (best price cameras) which offers these

packages in my price range.....but I don't really understand the

difference....could you explain...or pick the one you would choose?

<P>

Thank you.....

<P>

5 PACKAGE INCLUDES: <br>

1. NIKON D70S DIGITAL CAMERA BODY <br>

2. NIKON 18-70 DX LENS <br>

3. 512MB MEMORY CARD <br>

4. CASE<br>

5. LCD SCREEN COVER<br>

6. LENS CLEANING KIT<br>

7. INDOOR MACRO TRIPOD<br>

8. WRIST STRAP <br>

9. LENS POUCH<br>

10. UV FILTER<br>

11.CAP KEEPER<br>

12.MEMORY CARD CASE<br>

<P>

4 PACKAGE INCLUDES:<br>

1. NIKON D70S CAMERA BODY <br>

2. 28-300 AUTO FOCUS LENS<br>

3. 512MB MEMORY CARD<br>

4. CASE<br>

5. LCD SCREEN COVER <br>

6. LENS CLEANING KIT <br>

7. INDOOR MACRO TRIPOD <br>

8. LENS POUCH <br>

9. WRIST STRAP<br>

10.CAP KEEPER<br>

11.MEMORY CARD CASE<br>

<P>

3 PACKAGE INCLUDES:

1. NIKON D70S CAMERA BODY<br>

2. 28-70 2.84 AUTO FOCUS LENS<br>

3. 70-300 AUTO FOCUS LENS<br>

4. 512MB MEMORY CARD<br>

5. CASE<br>

6. LCD SCREEN COVER <br>

7. LENS CLEANING KIT <br>

8. FULL SIZE TRIPOD<br>

9. 2 LENS POUCHES <br>

10. WRIST STRAP<br>

11.CAP KEEPER<br>

12.MEMORY CARD CASE<br>

<P>

2 PACKAGE INCLUDES:<br>

2. 28-200 AUTO FOCUS LENS<br>

3. 256MB MEMORY CARD<br>

4. CASE<br>

5. LCD SCREEN COVER <br>

6. LENS CLEANING KIT <br>

7. INDOOR MACRO TRIPOD <br>

8. LENS POUCH <br>

9. WRIST STRAP<br>

<br>

11.MEMORY CARD CASE<br>

<P>

1 PACKAGE INCLUDES:<br>

2. 18-50 AUTO FOCUS LENS<br>

3. 55-200 AUTO FOCUS LENS<br>

4. 256MB MEMORY CARD<br>

5. CASE<br>

6. LCD SCREEN COVER <br>

7. LENS CLEANING KIT<br>

8.CAP KEEPER<br>

9.MEMORY CARD CASE

<P>

First of all, bestpricecameras.com is a bait and switch scam, so you might want to go to a different retailer.

If you are buying online, the safest bets are B&H or Adorama. I believe that photo.net gets a referral fee if you click through from here.

Your initial purchase should include: the D70s and 18-70mm lens, and 1 (or if you can afford it, get 2) CF cards.

Later, you will need sensor cleaning stuff, an SB-600 or -800 flash, bag, tripod, etc..., but the body, lens and CF card should be enough to get you started.

As to timing, it's really a guessing game whether the price will go down after Christmas, especially after the D200 comes out. If you need it for the holidays, get it; if you can wait after Christmas, then... like I said, a guessing game

Good luck!

KL

On practically anything digital, the longer you wait, the cheaper it gets. Wait 20 years, and you can pick that camera up at Goodwill for $5. Just jump in when you need the camera, and don't look back.

Ditto to the B&H/Adorama advice above. You might check at Freestyle camera- www.freestylephoto.biz. They don't carry a full line of cameras, but do have decent pricing on what they carry and are reliable retailers.

I would personally go with faster lenses.

D70s + 50mm AF f/1.8D (or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM) + Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC

Leave the Tele-zooms until you really need one. I do not think slow consumer tele-zooms are a good idea unless you really really have to.

Get a couple of Sandisk 1GB Extreme III CF cards and a good quality manual cable remote release. (The shutter is threaded to take one so you may as well use it.)

Buy from local trusted dealer or B&H/Adorama rather than than superficial looking 'bargain deals' from people you don't know.

If you have to go with one 'kit' lens then go with the 18-70mm DX.

If you like flash then the Nikon SB-600 is a good unit and very good value. (Get the Sto-fen Omni bounce OM-600 diffuser as well for $19.95)

A Sandisk own brand USB 2.0 CF card reader is a good idea also...

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1147)-SDDR-92-SanDisk_ImageMate_CompactFlash_ReaderWriter.aspx

Belle, You sound like a cheapo, just like me so here is my advice: Like the other guys said, buy only from well-known store - B&H, Adorama etc. I usually buy at my local camera store because there is usually not that much of a price difference. Get the D70S body and 18-70 kit lens and two cards of at least 512MB. Then, if you can swing it -- extra battery, SB600 or SB800 flash, 50mm 1.8 lens and you will be ready to roll. See if you like the digital SLR world and save up for some fast and expensive optics. I don't think you will save much by waiting until Christmas but who knows. I guarantee that you will really like the D70S and will wonder why you waited so long to get one.

Belle - Can't help you with which package to choose, but I can suggest you decide and get it now! My reasoning is that you will have a better Christmas if you already have your favored gift in hand. (I don't think prices will change much right after Christmas on the above items anyway, most retailers use modern inventory management system tracking so they don't get stuck with packages which don't sell). Best wishes with your choice.