Decent non-Canon flash for EOS 350D

peter_berger

I've looked at the various EOS speedlites and, really, I don't need that much (or, let's be clear,

that expensive) a flash. I tend to do most of my flash compensation calculations by hand. All

I need is a cheap flash that I can move around to bounce off of ceilings and walls.

My old vivtar 285 (I might be misremembering the model number, sorry) is just about

perfect, but is too old to be used safely with the 350D without frying it. Can someone

recommend a similarly cheap but reliable flash?

Surely I can't be the only person not willing to drop $200 on a flash unit. Educate me.

I've seen the safe limit of 250v mentioned in several places, apparently because the 350D uses a variant of the 20D's shutter. However, I was unable to find a definitive source for this information (basically, I was looking for information on a Canon Web site).

I didn't find it, so I phoned Canon UK, who stated that the 350D (like the 300D before it) is rated for 6v only, though he couldn't point me to an online or written confirmation of this. Who do you believe? Up to you, but better safe than sorry, in my opinion...

SUNPAK! 383 Super is still being manufactured. You could buy older 383 models. I have used 333 (manual output control down to 1/16) and 344D ($10 Canadian) with my XT without a problem. Especially the 344D model - try to find either Pentax or Oly dedicated ones; the unnecessary contacts do not even touch the XT's contacts! And they are really cheap. Tilt AND swivel. You do not get that with the Vivitar. And here is smth. you will like: My 333 re-charges just as fast as my brand new 430EX, and provides roughly the same amount of power ($29 Canadian). I fire these two into a shoot-through umbrella, and could not be happier.

Of course, the cheap stuff cannot totally replace the need for my 430EX. I use the 430EX outdoors as fill-flash (E-TTLII; now you cannot match the speed and accuracy of that with the late 70s, early 80s technology), and to trigger (wireless) other flashes in my basement studio at 1/64th power, while still getting the much needed focus assist (you probably know that you need all the focus-asssist you can get with an entry-level camera like the XT)