Charging 3rd party batteries with 5D charger

The 20D charger works just fine with 3rd party batteries, at least mine does.

I'm sure if Canon could come up with a way to detect 3rd party batteries, they'd disable the ability to charge them. They want to sell you Canon batteries and could always say that 3rd paty batteries are dangerous and you shouldn't use them (in fact they do say that).

When I pop either of my 2 3rd party batteries into the 5D charger, it quickly goes thru the flashing red light sequences, then the red light stays lit, like its done charging. I've tried leaving it on the charger but it doesn't charge at all. To bad, because these 3rd party batteries have more capacity than the canon batteries.

This winds up being the same situation as with lenses, but less likely.

For Canon to come up with a scheme to disable charging 3rd party BP-511/512 batteries in the 5D charger, it would have already had to be built into all the BP-511/512 batteries Canon has already sold.

I can't imagine that batteries are THAT difficult to reverse engineer.

Of course, Canon doesn't manufacture batteries anyway, so we're talking about a 3rd party company that brands a small portion of its total run "Canon" and the rest something else.

My charger for the 300D (uses the same BP-511) works just fine with 3rd party batteries.

I also bought a 3rd party travel charger by Optex that will charge about 100 different kinds of batteries, and it works on BP-511's & HB-2L's (350D).