Keep my Dad's Nikon equipment or add to my Canon system?

kathleen.fraser

I have inherited my Dad's camera equipment -- a Nikon D100 and an

F90x and lenses and other accessories -- and am trying to decide if

I should keep it all or trade it in for pieces that will add to my

own Canon system, and if I do trade it in, what I should get.

I really like my Canon Elan II and am used to the Canon PowerShots

(I have an A80 and have bought my mother and daughters similar small

digital Canons), so am leaning to getting a Canon Rebel XT or a

Canon EOS 20D and perhaps adding a couple of lenses. I am not

familiar with Nikons, but I'd like to have a digital SLR so I can

play with it more, and I know that Dad was able to afford much

better lenses than I could, so that is one more reason to hang on to

his equipment! But I am also not exactly flush with cash and am not

sure if it's worth trading in his equipment, for what I'd get for

it, considering what it would allow me to buy in Canon pieces.

What follows is the long list of equipment now in my possession,

starting with my Canon equipment, followed by Dad's Nikon pieces:

Mine:

Canon EOS Elan II

Canon Ultrasonic EF 28-105 1:35-4.5 II USM

Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II

Canon EF 28-80mm 1:3.55-5.6

UV filters

remote

Canon Speedlite 420EX

Canon PowerShot A80

Dad's:

F90X

AF 35-70mm F2.8D AIS Macro

SB-26 Speedlight

L37C haze filter, HB-1 hood

AF 50mm F1.4D

L1BC skylight filter

D100

EH-5AC adapter, Li-ion battery pack

AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 DG

SB-80 DX Speedlight

Also, I'm still figuring how to use an SLR, but I'd like to learn,

and I know my dad would like me to use his equipment whatever way

would help me best enjoy learning more about how to be a good

photographer. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Personally, regardless of who it came from, getting rid of used equipment to buy more equipment is usually a losing proposition. Yes, you could probably go thru fleabay but that can be a hassle and is no promise of getting what it's really worth. Selling it to KEH or B&H will definitely net less. Not even mentioning any sentimental value.

What you list is a respectable kit and even tho the D100 isn't the latest tech, it will do the job just fine. I'd say keep both and try to shoot with both for a while. After a few months, revisit how you feel about both systems. For example, if you shoot flash, Nikon usually does better in that area compared to Canon (they have better exposure algorithms). Canon, OTOH, has glass that, dollar for dollar, is a little better than Nikon.

Luck!

Kathleen - as others have said - keep them.

If I had to choose - sell the D100 & keep the Nikon slr along with the two lenses & flash & sell the 24-85 lens as well.

Otherwise consider selling some Canon stuff & try using the Nikon equipment - who knows - you may enjoy it:)

I have passed down a few cameras & lenses from my father to my sons as well as some of my own equipment. Sentimental value I guess.

Regards

I see it like this. For Film your covered with your Canon gear. Sell the Nikon SLR and the 35-70mm F2.8D and the flash. Then Bank the Cash. Keep the 50mm if it will work with the D100. The digital stuff depreciates quickly; but you have a good kit to learn about using a digital SLR, if you use it for another couple of years the D100 may not be worth much, but it has already taken a big hit. The Lens will hold value, although that one is likely not worth as much as the f/2,8 one. At that point when you go looking for a new DSLR you'll have experience with both systems and will have learned a lot. You'll get a lot more for your dollar in the Canon line or the Nikon line and you should be very comfortable with your decision. Good Luck!

The F90x is a better camera than your ElanII (in my opinion). The 35-70/2.8D is a sharper mid-range zoom than yours, and the 24-85 is very decent, on par with your 28-105. The D100 can probably help you improve better than any film camera (no flames, please).

Switching between Nikon and Canon is a matter of handling the "new" camera for a few days, I've done it, it's not as daunting as it seems.

Thank you very much for all your answers.

Yes, there are sentimental reasons for my wanting to keep my Dad's equipment, but I guess I was feeling a little intimidated by it all too. In any case, one conclusion I've quickly come to, thanks to the advice here, is not to rush out and buy a new digital SLR quite yet, not when I have a perfectly good one at hand. And perhaps I'd better give all of this equipment more of a try before I make up my mind about any of it.

I'll keep an eye on this board too -- I learn more every time I come to photo.net and appreciate the encouragement.

The correct answer is, either Nikon or Canon is a perfectly fine, comprehensive system to learn and grow with and produce excellent photos along the way, but you won't need both. What you should do is you should try using both systems before doing anything rash. Decide which SYSTEM you prefer overall, and only then, sell the other brand.

I should add that there is nothing fundamentally linking the Canon point and shoot cameras to the SLR systems. So the fact that you like and use the PowerShot A80 and similar compact digicams doesn't have any basis on which SLR system you keep. The key point is the lensmount and method of operation of the SLR systems.