Save a Hasselblad from hackers.

larry_korhank

Another department at work obtained a surplus 500C/M with a 50mm F4.

After getting the lens stuck on the camera they brought it to me to

fix and figure out how to make it work. I don't know a darn thing

about it but want to learn. I notice that B&H sells "The Hasselblad

System" by Bob Shell and "The Hasselblad Manual" by Ernst Wildi.

Which do you recommend? Any other recommendations? Please help save a

great camera from an ugly fate. Thanks! Larry Korhnak

Call B&H ask for hte hassy unjam tool. Bascially you take the back off, push the curtain carefully out of the way, and turn a little screw type object near the lens, NOT on the Lens! Use a bright lit room adn have somoene hold a flashlight near the body when you do it. It really only takes 5 seconds (which will seem like the longest of your life).

The unjammer tool comes with instructions.

The Wildi book is excellent but is probably more detail than you need.<p>

Take the camera to a local pro shop that sells Hasselblad and have them show you how to load/unload/unjam/use the camera. If you know the procedure, the camera will work flawlessly. If you don't, the camera will jam continously. I work as a freelancer for studios and use both my own Hasselblad and studio owned hasselblads. Their Hasses (newer, more expensive ones that are used by anyone and everyone) jam --- my hasse (30+ year old, well cared for I bought used) never does. I have the unjam tool in my case, but, honestly, have never needed to use it because I am very careful in mounting and unmounting lenses and extension tubes.<p>

Unjamming the camera is easy once you know how but you really need to be SHOWN. The unjam tool works great.<p>

Considering the cost of a Hasselblad 50 mm lens, if turning the recock key in the mirror box doesn't work, don't fool around with local hacker repair shops, send it to a master Hasselblad repairman. Try Hilton Command Exposures in Nashua New Hampshire. He is a Master Hasselblad repairman and has been repairing ONLY Hasselbalds forever. His phone number is 603-888-3684. I've been using his services exclusively since 1980 on all of my studio's cameras, and he is the best, and his prices are reasonable. He's also a factory authorzed repair center.

Rick Massarini - Massarini Photography New Orleans LA.