Newbie photographer with camera way too good for her needs starter tips

melaniec

Hello all,

As per your advice I've done some "diagnostics" on the camera.

Luckily it has always been stored with the lens cap in place, so the lens appears

unscratched and clean.

I followed Al's instructions for opening the camera and testing the shutter speeds. The

shutter curtains (if that's what I'm looking at) appear totally intact, and taut, and close

tightly. But, the shutter speeds are wacky. The slowest speeds stick badly, and somewhat

inconsistently (i.e., the extent to which they stick doesn't consistently lessen the faster

they get). Once you get above 1/250 they seem OK and the fastest speeds are noticeably

fastest. So, if I'm understanding correctly, it seems like if I take well-lit photos outdoors

with fast shutter speeds I'll be OK, but low light situations are no-gos until I get the

camera serviced, which it's looking like I'll definitely need to do.

I think what I'll do is roll some film in there and wait for a sunny day. I'm currently in

northern Virginia (where I'm from, and where I'm bringing the cameras from) and the

weather's currently terrible, so this may have to wait until I get back to SF this weekend.

Beepy, I would love to hit the streets with you and your crew and take some photos. I

could certainly learn from you, and then you'd be able to tell everyone that I am really,

truly not "Frank."

The other camera my father left behind is (according to the Rollei Club website) a

Rolleiflex 2.8 F model K7F from 1966. I have less than no idea how to use this particular

camera and don't even know which button is the shutter. I do remember, as a small child,

my father handing me this camera so that I could play with the viewfinder (or whatever you

call it). I was fascinated by it because I could see what was in front of the camera by

looking into the top of it. Anyway, I'd like to learn to use this camera as well but don't feel

quite up to it right now. Also, the folks on the medium format Usenet newsgroup seem to

think it will badly need servicing, more so than the Leica, so the Rollei education is going

to be put off for a while I think.

Thanks again, M

P.S. -- "Pristine" is a wonderful word, and should be reclaimed from trolldom whenever

possible.

It's probably best to start out with the Leica and save the Rollei for later. The size 120 film isn't as easy to find as 35mm and you pretty much have no choice but getting it processed in a pro lab or doing it yourself.

It seems like your Leica's shutter does need a CLA. The slow speeds usually get screwed up first. Another thing to watch out for concerning the high speeds is uneven exposure across the frame. As the curtains move the length of the film they're still accellerating. In order to assure even exposure the shutter is designed in such a way that the width of the slit widens as it moves across. The slit widening is controlled by the size of the drums (spools) on which the shutter is wound, and if the curtains move too slowly this compensation will be wrong. It will be most visible on the highest shutter speeds.

"The other camera my father left behind is (according to the Rollei Club website) a Rolleiflex 2.8 F model K7F from 1966."

I too have recently inherited a Leica (M4) and Rollei, in my case indirectly from my grandfather, who passed away in the early 80's. My father (a Nikon/Hasselblad man) was storing them, and they were mine for the asking.

Most of my shooting is with a DSLR, but I've also made a commitment to have steady output of B&W exposures using those two classic cameras. Tripping those whisper-quiet shutters, with their essentially 0 shutter lag, is something that I think can only be experienced, not described.

In any case, I wouldn't let the Rollei intimidate you. It's less complex than it might look, and you can find user's guides/info on the 'net. I also found a local Mom-n-Pop type lab in suburban Portland, OR (where I live) which will develop C-41 120 format film, should I ever want to shoot any of that. If you're in SF, I imagine you can find a lab to develop 120 format film if you wanted to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I don't know if it's a faux pas to resurrect dead threads, but I wanted to let you know that

I've taken a roll of film with the M3 (black and white, of course, it seems appropriate) and

dropped it off to be developed. I can't wait to see how the pictures turned out -- I have no

idea if I did anything right taking them -- but I will say that this camera is a hell of a lot of

fun to use, not to mention a real pleasure due to the build quality and the fact that it's

mechanical and you can actually sort of feel it working (unlike a digital).

When I get the photos back, I'll scan some and put them up here.

Still planning a CLA, but haven't decided where to send it yet. Money is an issue. So far

Cameraquest seems to have the best price, although if my camera doesn't need a

"complete overhaul" (not sure what that would entail) then DAG is about the same price.

Right now I have a roll of color film in the camera to see how those turn out. The funny

thing is that I find myself taking different kinds of photos with color than with b/w, if that

makes any sense.

Thanks again for the advice and moral support.

Great! We're looking forward to seeing your photos. One thing I noticed that nobody mentioned is the camera strap, or the strap on the case if that's how you're carrying it. 25 or more years ago you rarely saw anything but leather straps. These tend to dry out and weaken over time, and can break suddenly. Treat your M3 to a new nylon strap. It's a lot cheaper than repairing the camera and/or lens after a fall on the sidewalk.