Leica MP in Black standard paint?

fernando lopez

Leon - you will hold the finest and pure black lacquer in your hand when you pick up a current MP.

To me, it is still very fascinating - gives this so rubust camera some feminin and sensible aura... she seems to say... "hold me gently and tight otherwise I show you what you did...." ... nice! ..there is conversation...

Leon-- I do remember when the pre-war black Leicas were finished in

a black baked enamel.

Of course modern black finishes available in the industry can be epoxy

or polyurethane, which is MUCH more abrasion resistant than lacquer. Naturally, this would not make some of the "brassing perverts" happy. They would

have to really use their Leicas heavily in order to show brass.

The MP paint looks an awful lot like the automotive kind to me...

I'm currently repainting my M4 black and spoke to Don Goldberg about this a little. He thinks

the original MP cameras were black enamel, not lacquer. The paint job on the vintage M

cameras I've seen doesn't look terribly sophisticated. Black paint M cameras were primarily

purchased by pros, who considered them tools, and didn't want to get shot, because their

chrome camera caught a glint off the sun.

• 2 years later...
According to well-informed literature I've read about the new black finish on the Leica MP, it is a BLACK PAINT (a polyurethane based paint, like most modern paints). It is applied to the camera by a lacquering process - producing a perfect and flawless finish - at least this is the impression I've got when I've held a few black paint MP's. Unlike the black anodized finish, which is a type of electro plate (found on, for example the black M7), this black paint will, with use, chip-off if knocked hard against something, and wear away to reveal the brass underneath giving that cherished (by some) patina.