The collection has a lot of material. According the Star, "Besides its

broad scope, the collection is distinguished by its in-depth holdings

of famous photographers, including 230 photos by Andre Kertesz and

about 90 by Dorothea Lange. It was begun in 1964 with Hallmarkメs

purchase of 141 photographs by Harry Callahan."<BR><BR>

One of the things I want to see in person is the first-generation

print of モMigrant Motherヤ by Dorothea Lange.<Br><br>

Some wouldn't consider KC as a hotbed of culture, but this may be

worth a trip if you find yourself here on business or pleasure...

<br><br>

The entire story is on the KC Star site <a

href="http://www.kansascity.com">here</a>.

I'll speak up for KC as having some real cultural attractions. The Nelson-Atkins Museum

has some real treasures, and the acquisition of the Hallmark Photographic Collection is a

significant development. The great American 20th Century painter Thomas Hart Benton

was from KC, and there is a museum of his work there and some great murals as well. A

number of Frank Lloyd Wright homes and buildings, including the Unitarian Church, one of

his most praised designs. And one of my favorite photographers, or artist of any genre,

David Douglas Duncan is from KC. Great 20th Century architecture--the Art Deco World

War I monument is not to be missed. True, not your typical vacation destination, but you

could spend a thoroughly entertaining and culturally rich weekend in KC and not see it all.

The Nelson Atkins museum of Art in KC is one of the premier art museums in the country. It houses one of the largest Chinese art collections outside of China. The Nelson is worth a trip to Kansas City just to see this impressive museum, as anyone who has actually been there will easily tell you, and now with the acquisition of the Hallmark collection, it's preeminence as a cultural destination is assured. It has always been my favorite place in the city, inside and out. I have spent many afternoons there enjoying it's atmosphere and art. Kansas City also has one of the most burgeoning arts communities in the country, with new galleries opening everywhere. Come and stay for First Friday's, where the first friday of each month the city's galleries are open all evening and patrons can wander in and out at their leisure. It takes on the atmosphere of a huge street party stretching for blocks through the city's arts districts. So, do come and see the Hallmark collection, and stay for the art!