Nikon D70 out of focus all of the sudden

A few questions first:

Are you using the same lens?

Did you drop the camera?

Did you drop the lens?

Is the lens tough to zoom or focus?

Are the photos out of focus on the computer or in a print?

Do you have a filter on the lens?

Are you shooting at ISO 1600 in bright light?

Are you shooting at ISO 200 in dim light?

Are you shooting is Small Jpg Basic?

Did you accidently tell you camera the new D200 is coming soon :)

I use 200 iso. The image in the viewfinder is clear. The camera is on Autofocus. It should focus no matter what setting the diopter is on, even through it is set for my eyes. Even when I use flash to test the focus, I enlarge the image to the eyes and see that the image is out of focus and the catch light from the flash is out of focus. In other words, the camera focuses, the image looks good through the viewfinder, the resulting photo of OF when played back and printed. When I look at the photo after the picture is taken, it is out of focus. ?

Abe,

You are correct that the dioptre setting will not affect the focus of the images only of the image in the viewfinder. If you can try it with another lens and see if you can narrow down the cause to either the lens or the body. Try a number of focus points and see if the problem happens with all of them.

One thing to try is cleaning the mirror and mirror box with a blower (don't use compressed air since you can damage the shutter). It is possible for a foreign object on the mirror or AF sensors to throw the AF off.

I've used it with no problems for a year. It has been wonderful! Now the image is out of focus. A portrait will be out of focus, the catch light from the flash is out of focus. Nothing is sharp. I did upgrade to the newest firmware recently. It is Out of focus with all lenses. I've got a feeling it will have to be sent for repair. I've been using Nikon Fs and F4 for over 25 years, this has never happened. I think they just won't last! What a shame. I've got to pay for the repair. The investment is just too hight to throw the camera out. Thanks, everyone!

Abe,

You might want to look into the recent service advisory notice for the D70. The part that needs to be replaced, when in its defective stage, will effect focusing. If it falls on the advisory notice, the repair will be done free of charge.

Hope this helps.

Rick.

• 1 year later...

I have encountered similar situations. I think the problem comes down to camera movement. I have had better results using a VR lens and setting my shudder speed at 125th per sec or higher.

When shooting at slower shutter speeds, with a lens that is approx 1.5 the focal length, you will have a tendancy to have more movement. A tripod and a Electronic cable release will also provid sharper results.

Hope this helps,