I recently bought a Canon Powershot A610. In order to download

pcitures to my Apple iBook, I simply connect the two pieces of

equipment with a USB cable, and the pictures automatically get

downloaded to iPhoto. For some reason, however, the same is not

true of the movies I have shot with the camera. They do not appear

to be automatically downloading anywhere. Can anyone advise as to

how to do this?

Thanks.

The standard answer is "get a card reader". :)

Canon is still annoying people by not support standard USB and requiring their dumb

software to make it work. As you noticed, iPhoto finds it, but only gets images, as it doesn't

support movies.

So you need either the Canon software to transfer these or simply pop your card in a reader.

yes a card reader.. and also as a general answer (more to the computer side of things than the photography side) educate yourself as to how computers work. learn more than the 'picture' button. but for now a card reader will offer an answer. Also as mentioned, look for the software to help you download the stuff.

I know a thing or two about Macs, but almost nothing about digital cameras. Since I am

considering a Canon A620, I am interested in this discussion; up to this point compatibility

between my Macs and the Canon hadn't been a consideration.

So if I understand correctly, if a person uses the Canon software then a card reader isn't

necessary? Can you be more specific about the Canon software you are referring to?

After you have connected the camera to the computer, on the Desktop you will see an icon

for the camera. (It's likely to be called "Untitled," but might also be "Powershot" or

something similar.) Double click on it and you will find a folder, or a nest of folders, in

which are your photos and your movies. Drag the movies to the folder on your computer

where you would like to put them, as you would if copying files from a CD or an external

hard drive.

The camera icon will also be visible in the "home" window. (In the Finder, pull down the

Go menu, and choose Home. It will be in the upper left section of the window where the

icon for the Macintosh HD and several other things can be seen.

I'm not aware of any way to perform this function automatically, but this is what I do with

movie clips from my digital.