Vote your favourite portrait lens

Yaron,

> The 600/4 for candid portrait photography. If you're shy, the 1200/5.6.

12 lbs lens for candid portrait? how do you actually hide with that monster. I had troubles

with people and 17-40L with hood, not to mention 18 inch white monster.

for me, i dont do portrait as much as i would do people in their surrounding, so i will say

17-40L

I have taken portraits with (35mm film equivalents) lenses ranging from 28mm to 200mm and I can't say I have a "favorite". They all have plusses and minusses..........depends on the pic and person.

Now I will say for infants and toddlers, I truely love the look a 50mm (35mm film equiv) gives the "small" people...but that may also have something to do with the fact that when I bought my first 35mm film cam my daughter was just recently born and the 50 was the only lens I had for about a year and a half.............so, I really found out how to use it to the best advantage with small children.

I think that is probably the REAL key to lenses.......using ONE so much that you know everything it can do. IMHO

<i>"12 lbs lens for candid portrait? how do you actually hide with that monster. I had troubles with people and 17-40L with hood, not to mention 18 inch white monster."</i><br><br>

My point exactly. The only people I know who shoot portraits with the 300/2.8 IS are paparazzi and sports photogs. You can't do much candid portrait photography with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS either.