Lense recommendation:17-85 or 70-300?

richard_speer

Please excuse the basic nature of this question, as I am apparently

having a conceptualization problem, but:

one lense: EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.

one lense: EF 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS.

Which of these would you recommend for my first lense with my first

digital SLR, a 20D? I am basically a beginner who plans on taking

mostly outdoor pics, with more emphasis on landscape than animals.

If landscape is your emphasis, then it's a simple choice: 17-85, which at the wider end is quite a capable landscape lens, as well as throughout its zoom range making a great do-it-all walk-around lens, although I'm sure some would recommend you get an even wider one for that purpose.

<p>I have it myself, and love shooting with it. Even if I'd had other lenses for my 350D, I'm quite sure that's the one that would have stayed on my camera most of the time.<p>

Image stabilisation is great, making hand-holdability down to around one tenth of a second quite possible. Highly recommended!

Depends on how you like to shoot landscapes? Remember that 70mm on a 1.6 crop is already a lot. From the two above I would also go for the 17-85 if it is for landscapes (like to take wide pictures for landscapes)...

For animals I would use the 70-300...because most of the time they are further away

Maybe also consider the EF-s 10-22mm...

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1022_3545/index.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1785_456_is/index.htm

Ps own the 17-85 because I wanted a lens with a decent range and that was still wide enough on my 20d. But in some situations I would have liked it to be even wider

As others have said the EF-S 17-85mm is a better choice for landscape than the 70-300mm. A couple of people also mentioned the EF-S 10-22mm. Thats a GREAT lens but its not a good choice for a beginner. It takes a good deal of effort and skill to compose at focal lengths between 10 and 17 mm. Until you have learned a bit about photography and the art of composition, you would probably be better served with the 17-85mm.

<i>I am basically a beginner who plans on taking mostly outdoor pics, with more emphasis on landscape than animals.

</i><br><br>

No brainer--go wide. For landscapes you'll appreciate the extra room that the 17mm side of things will give you and the 85mm (with the crop factor) is equivalent to 2.5x the focal length of the lens a good deal of us old-timers learned on.<br><br>

The only concern I would have (and this is where my old-school roots may be showing) is that if you learn on the IS lens you may develop habits that will be hard to break when you have to use a lens that doesn't have IS on it.

<i>...that if you learn on the IS lens you may develop habits that will be hard to break when you have to use a lens that doesn't have IS on it.</i><p>

Jim made an excellent point that few people here have discussed about IS lenses.

With the 17-85 as your first lens you won't be limited to take the pictures that most of the time you are going to take, but if you go for the 70-300 as your only lens, you will be limited to head shots if you are inside a house. Go wide first then complement with the telephoto zoom...

What type of landscape do you wish to shoot?

Do you want to shoot in once rural areas with heavy injections of modern homes? If so, go for the longer lens as the compression of perspective will let you hide a 1980s style home behind a barn to retain a 1930s rural look. Do you want to shoot in areas with lots of power lines? If so go for the longer lens as a wide angle tends to make excluding power lines very hard. Do you wish to shoot in areas with majestic but distant backdrops (i.e., mountains 100 miles away0? Go with the longer lens so you can use compression of perspective to shoot a barn half a mile away and make the mountains appear closer.

Do you want to shoot beneath the canopy of a forest? Then go longer as you often need to get closer to a subject as trees will block the line of site to get the same composition with a longer lens. Do you live in an area where there are few power lines (the US States of Illinois, Wyoming, Montana, ... and most US National Parks come to mind)?

For many other landscape subjects it just depends on where you can get too. Longer lenses can shoot between trees to create a scene without foreground distractions in a city. Shorter lenses can get you the wider field of view of a scene where other objects would block the view you wish to capture when shot with a longer lens. There is no right or wrong, just different scenes that demand different tools.

Myself, I love longer lenses for the compositional control they give a shooter (they simplify getting simple/clean backgrounds more often). But a wider lens also has its place. Long glass enables getting shots without trespassing that would require trespassing with a wider lens (though I often just ring doorbells at farms and ask permission to shoot and share prints as a thank you).

That said, even though I have not intention of getting the 18-85 I would suggest that for a beginner as it is a nice compromise of focal lengths (wide to normal to short telephoto) while the 70-300 is a pure telephoto lens. Then shoot for a while (5000+ shots) until you find the situations where you need a different lens to capture your vision of a scene.

some thoughts,

Sean

Richard,

A lot of posters here have focused on the landscape part of your post rather than the first lens part. Though both are excellent lenses I would not recommend either the 10-22 or the 70-300 to be the only lens you own. The 17-85 IS on the other hand is probably the best single lens choice out for a 1.6x crop factor camera. The only competition out there would be the Sigma 18-50/2.8. It lacks IS but is faster (larger maximum aperture). For your stated purposes however the 17-85 IS is probably better. More range and IS. Fast lenses are essentially irrelevant for landscape photography. I will point out that neither the 10-22, 17-85 or the Sigma 18-50 can be used on a full frame camera. The EF-S lenses won't mount and the Sigma will nto project a large enough image circle. That would not stop me from buying any of these lenses however.

No one has yet made the hackneyed suggestion of the 50/1.8. It is a lens with a cheap autofocus motor, plastic lens mount, and lousy manual focus "ring". The optics are very good and it is a good portrait lens on the 20D. I have one and use it extensively. Not a lens I would recommend as the only lens you own but at about $70 you should get one and use it.

PS: "Lense" is my pet peeve. The word is lens.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/lense.html